Chapter 33

Everyone had been talking about the first afterschool mission all day, and the excitement was only building. It was finally 5th period and for you it was music appreciation along with Nero, Isamu and Rika. You sat beside the two as the other students came in and looked at the music notes displayed on a stand in front of each chair. Yours held a Beethoven symphony, which by the notes, you remembered hearing when playing Sudoku with Cid when the two of you had first met on the way to Destiny Islands. Wasurete and Cloud stepped through the room as the bell rang- the class looking at them in surprise.

“Those of you, who were accepted for the missions, follow Wasurete to the main gate. You’re gonna be sent home to change into the uniforms and get ready. Come to the football field by the time school should be out,” Cloud announced.

Wasurete nodded,” Those of you who didn’t take it- or were rejected- follow Cloud where you’ll be staying in the auditorium for the remainder of school.”

At home, there was a small package for each one of you from the academy containing the uniform. You took a quick shower and found that it consisted of a dark gray tank top, black fingerless gloves, and a black, cropped zip up hoodie which stopped at your elbows, along with white skinnies- they didn’t feel as tight as they looked. The small note inside informed you that you’d have to wear something good for fighting, so you decided on your black combat boots.

Raizo, Vergil, and Kazuki were waiting outside in their uniforms which you found similar to yours- the only difference was that their jacket wasn’t cropped. After a few more moments, Rika and the others came- all of you leaving for the school with a good 30 minutes walking time.

“Why don’t you ever leave your hair down [Nickname]-chan?” Noa asked, poking at your pony tail.

“Yeah, you look hotter,” Dante smirked,” Like Charlie.”

Rika huffed and kicked his shin, causing the tall teen to stop in pain. “You’d look better if you put a shirt on!” she spat back.

“I agree,” Vergil rolled his eyes.

“Why~? I think it’s good for these girls to be distracted with Dante’s abs!” Natsu chirped.

“Out of curiosity, are you into guys?” Kazuki asked with a raised eyebrow.

“I only meant that it’s better for us so we can get more credit kicking butt,” Natsu crossed his arms.

“I didn’t hear a no,” Raizo smirked.

“You didn’t hear a yes either,” you defended.

“Yeah, why are guys always picking on Natty?” Rika looked at them,” Just cuz he’s a girly prettyboy-”

“You’re not exactly helping him,” Isamu sighed.

Back at school, Cid gave his usual lecture about the airship before everyone boarded. Getting in line to go inside, you noticed that many worried parents were still talking to their children, and a feeling in your gut made you want to cry. However, you were snapped out of it when you heard your name being called.

“[Name]!” It was Kurogane with Fai and Hiro.

You got out of you spot beside Kazuki and ran over to them, noticing that Noa just approached as well. “Yeah?”

“Suteki, here!” Hiro held up to you the small yellow stuffed animal, however, it was more than just that- like you had guessed- as it smiled.

“Heya little girl!” he held a hand up,” Long time no see!”

“I’m little,” you crossed your arms,” You’re the one who’s a toy.”

“Hey! Why you-”