two

chapter two.
the offer.

J A C E.

"Mr. Taylor!" My photography teacher shouted just as I was about to exit my last class of the night. She motioned for me to stay behind so I stepped aside letting everyone else leave.

"Yes? Is everything okay?" I questioned. I had a feeling what this was about. The seniors were assigned one final project for the remainder of the year and report it back to the teacher for approval but I had nothing.

I didn't want to do just anything to get a passing grade. I wanted something with a meaning behind it.

"I've noticed the trouble you've had finding a senior project," A sly grin plastered on her face as she tossed me a magazine. The girl on the cover was beautiful but her smile was what stood out.

 The girl on the cover was beautiful but her smile was what stood out

It was almost memorizing. It can't be described. You could tell it was real, not like how these other celebrities fake it.

"Serenity Knight," She exclaimed happily. "I had the pleasure of portraying her first album cover. Her manager recently contacted asking if I would do it again but I recommended someone who I thought would a better job."

I cleared my throat nervously. "Me?" I asked and she nodded as clarification. "That sounds amazing but—"

"But nothing!" She halted me placing her hand on my shoulder. "Jace, you're one of my best students. I wouldn't have passed this onto you if I didn't think you could handle it."

When it came to my passion, I took it seriously. If I received lower than an A, I'd beat myself up for it. My gift was to capture the simplicity of everything and how could I do that if I'm my worst critic?

"Thank you." I said graciously shaking her hand. She dismissed from class just in time for me to catch the bus.

Since all of my colleagues portray me as a nerd, they weren't sure why I chose photography over computer design.

I grew up in a one parent home and ninety nine percent of the time, they would be at work. I found this old polaroid camera at a yard sale and that's where my journey to becoming a photographer began.

It would start out as taking pictures of my neighborhood then I started taking it more seriously and began capturing more simplistic objects.

People interact with other people to fill up the emptiness of interaction but me? I just found comfort in capturing the world around me.

• • • • •

I sat in the kitchen of the three room apartment I share with another, on my laptop looking up Serenity.

It's weird that I've never heard of her until now, considering that her song has been number one on the radio and iTunes for quite some weeks now.

"Why are you still up?" My roommate tiredly asked dragging his feet to our refrigerator. It was only a few minutes past one in the morning, I think it's because I call myself a night owl that I think he's over exaggerating.

"I was just researching this singer for my photography project. Now that I know what to do, I—"

"Who?" He questioned, mainly interested in the singer and not me. Whenever it came to celebrities, he automatically became intrigued. Mostly because he aspires to be an actor.

"Serenity Knight."

Once I said that, his eyes bulged out of his sockets. Snatching my computer, as if it weren't on its last leg already, he stared into the screen with awe. "Isn't she gorgeous? It should be a crime to be that fine!"

"Yes. Yes she is."

"Man," he practically started to drool over the pictures from Google. I couldn't blame him though. She was that eye pleasing. "You get to meet her? Tell her stop ignoring a nigga's DMs."

"This is for school and school purposes only. It's not like it's cocktail hour and I'm talking to her personally."

"But you never know. Opportunities like this don't come often and I think that you should use it to its full effect." He suggested while heading back to his room.

He might be onto something. Getting to be in the space of someone well known who could possibly have the connections for me is something rare and I'm interested to see where this project will lead.

_____________

hi cuties. 💕 thoughts on it so far? my goal for this book is to at least have 600-800 words a chapter, a huge step up in my opinion🤷🏽‍♀️ who knows, maybe I'll start shooting for 1000.

vote, comment, share! 🦋

— kayla 🎈