seventeen

chapter seventeen!
realization.

time skip ; two months.

J A C E.

"So we need the basics first," Swan states as we search around Walmart. "Bread, eggs, milk, you know that."

I nodded parting ways heading down the aisle for the bread. Things in my life have been... tight. It seems like shit has been going downhill. I lost my job, rent has been getting behind, Swan's job is not really helping. My school work is starting to reflect how I feel, shitty.

As far as my relationship goes with Serenity, nothing's changed. I had ignored her calls to the point where she stopped completely. A major L on my part. The last contact I had with her is when I received an invitation for her birthday which is today, I declined and sent it back and Swan made sure to tell how much of an ass I was for that.

The radio switched over to another song and I stopped in my tracks once the melodic voice started,

I know you don't want me anymore
By the look on your face
They say when it rains it pours
You can tell by my face

Oh and I know, and you know
That we've been here before
I think I know how it should end
We've got an audience calling us crazy

Her voice. It's the first time in a while I've heard it and I realized how I missed it so much. I thought ignoring her would make me forget but it didn't. I shouldn't have said what I said, even if it was to piss her off.

I needed to talk to her. I needed to see her again. I wanted her to realize that she's the one that matters. First on the agenda is to apologize.

S E R E N I T Y.

"I can't believe you're a year older." Aaliyah cried as looking at the slide show of me as a child to now. We were at the venue where my birthday party is happening tonight to make sure things are running smoothly.

"It's all coming together," Sighing happily, I wiped a few stray tears. "And with my album set in a few weeks, I'm a the definition of a nervous wreck but hey, maybe I can get that Grammy I've always dreamed of."

"With the bangers on this album, you'll get multiples, do you hear me?" She laughed but her face became serious in a matter of seconds. "Has Jace ever—"

"No." I replied rather quickly. "I'm convinced he has been me blocked. Did you know he sent back the invitation for tonight? He hates me."

Aaliyah sighed wrapping her arm around my shoulder. "I hate seeing you down like this Serenity. You worked so hard to get to your status and you still look incomplete. I say you go over to his house and talk this thing out."

I shook my head. "I think his mind has been made up. He's good and I will be too."

The real truth was I was scared. My biggest fear is rejection and my stomach knotted thinking of the idea that he is truly done with me.

I missed him terribly, I really did. I needed him more than I thought. He was my light. His presence alone made me feel at ease which was something oddly amazing.

"...and thank you to everything who came out and celebrated me turning sixteen," I joked earning laughs from some people.

"The wishes, the love, all of it has been overwhelmingly great and I appreciate everyone who supports me and I hope to see most of you soon for the release of my self titled album. Enjoy the rest of the party!"

I smiled widely holding my drink in the air as the room went into excited chatter. The place was nearly packed, I wasn't complaining though. It shows how many people actually ride for me.

I walked over to my parents were having their own conversation, I was actually surprised they came. They aren't so well with large crowds like this.

"Mama, you promised no tears." I whined wiping her face with a napkin. She shooed me away as I sat across the two.

"You're just getting so old on us," My dad sighed happily. "I remember when you were just a baby and you wanted to be like the dancers on TV, learning all of the steps as if you were one of them. The both of us are extremely proud of you. Your success, your drive, how focus you are... it makes us honored to be your parents."

This time, it was my eyes that were filled with tears. I couldn't have asked for better parents. They've sacrificed so much for me to be in the position I'm in today and I could never repay them for the faith they've gave me. They believed in me when I didn't believe in myself.

I reached over and hugged the both of them. "I love you guys so much." I sigh wiping the rest away. My mom and dad looked at each other then back at me. "What?"

"We've both decided to give you this," My dad smiles handing me a golden box. Opening it, I gasped revealing the piece of jewelry that once belonged to my grandmother. "She loved you a lot and we knew she'd be okay with this in your hands."

"Wow, thank you." I say graciously.

"Oh and remember this for us, don't ever lose out on your happiness because of fear. Okay?"

I looked at the two suspiciously as to why they told me this but still agrees to it anyway. "Did Aaliyah run her mouth again?"

"Maybe. Maybe not. We have ears, you know? We can get in on the tea too." They both smirk and I cringed at their vocabulary.

"Oh God no."

_____________________

wow, is this a triple update before i leave for school? i think yes! 💞