eighteen

chapter eighteen!
you've got to be kidding.

S E R E N I T Y.

I entered the large structure with a large smile on my face. Today we'd be discussing my album and the next few months to come as far as promo and all the other stuff. It's exciting.

"Why are you so cheerful?" Melanie questioned examining my posture. I just shrugged and my smile got even bigger.

We stepped out of the elevator and proceeded down the corridor. The head of the label, producers and every other person who helped along this journey was present. I took my seat in one of the spinning chairs as everyone else got situated.

"Alright," Calvin spoke grabbing the room's attention. "As you all know, one of our top artist is releasing her next album in a matter of weeks. Serenity, all of hard work has paid off and we are all extremely proud." He smiled handing me a copy of the album.

When they placed the hardcopy of my work in my hand, it felt like I was holding a newborn. The piece I spent countless hours on, day and night, is in my hands and soon everyone else's. I flipped over to the back and looked at the track list.

Furrowing my eyebrows, I chuckled nervously. "Umm— this isn't the track list we created. Only three songs I wrote are on here." I looked over at Mel who looked down in regret. "Did I miss something?"

"Well Serenity," One of the producers spoke up. "We know what the people like and we felt some of what you wrote was a bit—"

"Sappy." Calvin concluded. "You're a pop and r&b princess and that is what people see you as. One more is included in the deluxe version. That's something right?"

I looked at everybody in the room in disbelief. Looking down at my album now, I was less ecstatic. "No. No, this isn't right. You said things would be different this time. You said I would have freedom on this one."

"Everything is set Serenity. We've already released the album date to the public and tour dates will follow weeks after."

At this point, I was now frustrated, hurt and really embarrassed. "I didn't name this album after myself because I couldn't think of anything else. I named it after me because I thought this was my chance to show the real me. And you're all up here smiling in my face saying it's bunch of lyrics on here that don't nor will ever pertain to me?"

"Serenity—"

"I don't want to fucking hear it!" I yell and a few people flinched at my tone. It is very rare of me to show rage but I was beyond disappointed to be on this label. "Pathetic!" I stormed out the room disregarding every attempt they threw at me to come back.

I walked out the building and into the monstrous crowd of paparazzi and fans. Joel wasn't even with me so I was practically getting mulled. "Not today. Please." I pleaded wiping my tears. That only prompted them to ask more questions. I pushed my way through most of them and found my way to the car.

I crawled in the backseat and ordered for the driver to speed off, which he did. The calls and texts to my phone started flooding. I rolled down the window to get some of the fresh breeze.

Just when I get a little sense of happiness, the universe finds a way to mess things up. This may be a sign.

J A C E.

"Tragic," Swan started. "Simply tragic." He was still mad that I didn't contact Serenity for her birthday. As much as I wanted to, I just couldn't bring myself to.

"If you were in my position, you'd—" Both Swan and I's head turned towards the door once there was an obnoxious banging on the door.

"Don't get that! That's how the people die in the movies!" Swan semi whispered as I got up from the table. I looked through the peep hole and saw Serenity's bodyguard pacing in front of the door but not her.

Before the door was even halfway open, he barged in like the police and started searching the place. "Where is she?"

"Serenity? How am I supposed to know?" I say, instantly regretting how it came out.

"Fuck." He hissed grabbing his phone from his pocket. Something in my body made me queasy at his actions. "She had a meeting but things got out of hand. She left the building and no one's seen her since. We can't track her phone because she turned off her GPS. I thought she may have contacted you during this."

"Nah." I said trying to dial her number. A curse word fell from my mouth once I heard her answer machine start. "I'm not getting an answer." Why would I? I've been ignoring her for this long, the girl is probably done with me.

"Do you mind coming with me? I know she'll give in to you before anybody else." He pleaded. His job was on the line if something were to happen to her. How would I look if I didn't help out?

I nodded and walked out with him in front, trying Serenity's number again. I don't care if me and her not on good terms, I'll go crazy if something was to happen to her.