3 | ACT I, SCENE III

P R E V I O U S L Y

"Fine then," Eric nodded to Lucius. "Let us begin."

CALCHESTER CITADEL, STEFFITH

EDWINA

I HAD INHERITED MY MOTHER'S eyes, my father's temper, and my grandfather's gift for playing with the dead.

I had also, apparently, inherited a fascination of observing the minute, sangria stained bubbles floating on my gold rimmed flute of red wine.

I took another sip, curling a lock of hair around my right finger. The hue of the red, stray strand rivaled that of the fire streaked sky outside. Another man bumped into me as I grinned.

"That woman looks like a baked ham," Amphitrite muttered from beside me. I bit back a laugh as I saw one of the women, all cherry red hair and pale pink ribbons. Wisps of it floated around, trailing on the floor.

"That is not for us to judge, Amphi," I chided.

"Well, what else are we supposed to do all day?" she narrowed her sky blue eyes. I shrugged my shoulders, downing the last of the red. As I made my way around the cavernous hall, my sister trailed after me, excitedly speaking non stop.

Today was the day of revelation.

I was scared, yes. Because I wanted this so badly that I was scared to think about it. I wanted to be Queen like I needed oxygen to breathe. I knew I was capable enough, I knew I could do it. The only thing I needed were enough votes. Votes which I hoped I had received in plenty after my hard work in the rebel states.

The royal families were slowly arriving, and the balconies were filling up. The seats were three quarters occupied with the throngs of the people of Endollon, immortals and otherwise. There were so many people. People to watch the declaration of their country's three new monarchs.

Eric waltzed to my sister's side, dressed in dark grey today. They both were laughing at some joke he made. My cousin's stormy eyes lit up when he saw me, and turning lighter as he saw the empty wineglass in my hand.

"You're drunk," he stated as a matter of fact. I gave him a condescending smile and set it down on the tray, picking up a goblet of Merlot from a passing server.

"I'm not always drunk," I answered, cross.

"You are always drunk. You just don't look drunk because you always look like this, we've just gotten used to it," Amphitrite said with a laugh. "That was your fourth glass of alcohol," she reminded me.

I drained the new drink again, trying to cool the heat throbbing in my head. Goddamn, was I nervous.

"In fact, Amphi-" I put down the glass, "I'm conducting an experiment. If you hadn't already noticed-"