58 | ACT III, SCENE VI

P R E V I O U S L Y

I also noticed the pool of fluid around Irina's feet.
The baby was coming.

HEXHAM PALACE, SKELDERGATE, ALLINGTON

EDWINA

"I'M SORRY, I'M SORRY, I know-" Irina said, her face flushed, trying to get up as I crossly sat her down. "Baby is... coming," she gasped, and I saw the red blood stain bloom on the grey of her gown, as alarmed, I glanced around the room. "I can't - can't move -"

"Wait," I said briskly.

"Can't wait... need to push-"

"Irina. Hold it. One minute," I said firmly, draping pillows all over Sarette's eyes and pulling the curtains off the rods. I made a thick fold out of the heavy silk curtains, gently moving Irina onto it so that no bloodstains would be left on the floor to alert the Rotavelles who had been here.

"All right. Deep breaths now," I said, drawing up her gown.

"Gods. Another contraction," she said though her teeth, biting her lips to stop herself from screaming. "I can't believe I'm delivering my first child in this wicked place!"

"I know, I know, just relax," I said, trying to make her more comfortable and holding her hand as another contraction passed.

Truth be told, I had never delivered a child before. I knew the way it worked. But I was even more scared than Irina right now. She grunted in pain, and I shifted her back as she sucked in huge breaths. I pushed her gown up to the waist, pushing her thighs apart and cutting off her smallclothes.

"Aidon... Aidon was supposed to be... ugh, I can't even move my-" Irina panted, unable to finish her sentence. Another burst of warm liquid erupted from between her legs as I gently held her down.

"Shh. It's alright. You can do this. You can do this, alright? Take deep breaths. Now, on the count of three, I'm going to need you to push as hard as you can, alright?"

"Ye - yes..."

"Okay. One, two, and... three." Irina heaved in pain, her fingers clenching and clutching the curtains as her back arched off.

"I - can't..."

"Yes, you can. You're going to do this. Come on, Irina," I said encouragingly, and she pushed again.

"Aargh!"

"Yes, come on," I urged, as the head appeared. It was so matted with blood that I could not see the color of the hair.