59 | ACT III, SCENE VII

P R E V I O U S L Y

Tying my daggers around my ankles and sliding my knives up my sleeves, I left, hearing the attendants making the preparations for the huge celebrations at night.

HEWE, STEFFITH.

TRISTAN

SOMETHING WAS CLENCHED IN THE sleeping Erida's fist. And no matter how hard I tried to pry her fingers open, they wouldn't give way. What was she holding and how would we wake them up? Her fingers were as hard as stone.

I sighed.

"I've got it, it's here, I got the Felonwood!" I heard a familiar voice come up the flight of stairs. Helios opened the door and Nyx gave her a timid smile. Edwina marched in, triumphantly holding a slim bottle filled with scraps of bark.

"What? You got it?" Helios's mouth fell open.

"Got what?" I questioned.

"Felonwood. To wake them up," Nyx explained, then her eyes went wide and mouth turned to a thin line as she saw me.

"Er."

"I'm... sorry," Helios shook his head, looking at me. "Umm. You are shot by the arrow when we found out. And... we forgot to tell you."

"Forgot, is it?" I snapped. "Forgot? You tell her and you don't tell me?"

"I'm sorry," he said genuinely.

"Felonwood can only be grown in Allington. And you sit here, happy in your mansion while you send others to go and get it for you?" I asked angrily. "You could have told me!"

"Tristan, we're sincerely sorry," Nyx said glumly. "It sort of slipped off my mind."

"But now, we've got it," Helios beamed. "We just need to brew it with the proper herbs in hot water and there will be no reason to delay this."

"Yes. And you got it!" Nyx patted Edwina on the back proudly.

"And do you mind asking the Queen how she got it?" I asked dryly.

It was taking every ounce of my strength to not lose my temper with her.

Edwina poured out the story, as we listened, interested.

"You drugged Sarette Rotavelle? The Sarette Rotavelle? She once burned a handmaiden alive for getting her a dress of the wrong size," Nyx gasped in hardly concealed admiration.