38 | ACT II, SCENE X

P R E V I O U S L Y

"No is a complete sentence in itself, Valmont. I don't think I need to give you an explanation," I cut in quietly, my voice gone mellow with the hurt in my heart.

"Fine," Tristan said quietly, his voice dripping with acid, stinging me. It held a mocking quality to it, as if trying to hide the hurt. I flinched at the tone as his face turned back into the white, reserved mask it always was. "Have a good night, Queen Regnant."

HARTINGTON CASTLE, ALNWICK, STORMHOLT

ERIC

TONIGHT WAS THE NIGHT.

WE were going to do it tonight.

I was fingering a fine feather staff, examining a blade as Tristan talked to me in a low voice, locking a flail into his belt. I stuffed my boots with daggers and blades, adding to the discussion. He strapped two swords to his back, picking up a sharp whip as well, while I sharpened my Trident. We had no idea what we would face on the island, and had to be prepared for all consequences, armed with all kinds of weapons.

Suddenly, the door opened and Edwina walked in.

She was dressed head to toe in fine black armor, just like us men. Seraphine hung at her hips. A ruby filled halberd was clutched in one hand, while she held her Flaming Spear in her right, its edge sharpened to a wicked point. 

Her hair was braided into a fine, elegant plait. Even the red strands were threaded with sharp spikes that could do serious injury if she swung it around. Leather gauntlets stacked with knives and heeled boots armed with arrowheads completed her outfit.

She looked like the very definition of danger.

I saw Tristan's head whip around and his face suddenly smooth out with awe, eyes glazed over with admiration. I chuckled to myself. She indeed looked ethereal. Somehow, her armor looked better on her than the high collared, intricate gowns she often liked to wear. He heard me, huffed, and then placed a frown back on his face, pointedly refusing to acknowledge her existence.

"There is no need to speak," he spat suddenly. Storm raged in his eyes as he pulled on his boots, angry at letting his feelings show - even if it were for a fraction of a second.

"As if," Edwina rolled her eyes. 

Gods. This was getting worse. They both needed to talk.

"Cousin," I said, trying to keep my voice even, "what are you doing here?"

"It's full moon, LeVane," she glared at me, and her nose turned up. "Tonight is the night we go to Vezort Island to fetch the first piece of the Logogram."