66 | ACT IV, SCENE V

P R E V I O U S L Y

I gave him the thunder with my eyes and said a single sentence before I marched out of the door.
I had no intention of letting her die.

HARTINGTON CASTLE, ALNWICK, STORMHOLT.

EDWINA

I WAS WALKING ALONG THE upper balconies of the castle, striding in the quiet moonlight. The rooms in the upper floors were lavish and private, all belonging to Tristan and I - rooms that no one except us were allowed to enter. Under us were the chambers of the other royals: the grey and silver curtained rooms of Llewellyn and Celestina, the ivory chambers of Celinette. Halette and Vincent resided in the luxurious guest wing, while Miriel preferred to stay in the glass greenhouses with her roses and kittens, even when offered the richly furnished halls of the castle.

Tristan had often insisted that I stay here in peace, and tonight I'd finally taken his advice. The breeze was soft and cool.

No one here would accuse me of being a murderer.

Only one week was left

One week until the Trial.

And once they'd kill me - once they'd take my life for the crime I hadn't committed, the Century Ball would come along in half a year, leaving Tristan alone without me.

This was what it cost one to be a Queen.

Celinette was wandering in the hall, her glowing moonlight was everywhere. Her dress flowed down the floors like quicksilver. Beside her was Tristan, dressed in a black like tendrils of the night, his hair a mess, ultramarine lightning crackling in his palms every few seconds.

I could still hear both mother and son arguing about me.

I could hear him trying to convince her, and her trying to scold him - when he finally put up his hands in exasperation and ran a hand through his dark locks.

And that was when I heard it.

I seemed to be the only one who heard it, as both the immortals below were still in heated discussion, and the rest of the castle was silent.

And then I heard it again, louder, and more distinct than last time.

A female scream.

• • • • •

I couldn't place the person who was screaming - yet I knew that it came from the lower floors.