35 | ACT II, SCENE VII

P R E V I O U S L Y

"What?" I gasped, "you'll teach me?"

"Get your ass off this bed. I'll leave if you take more than five minutes to get ready," Tristan smirked evocatively.

HARTINGTON CASTLE, ALNWICK, STORMHOLT

TRISTAN

I SPENT A TERRIBLE TEN minutes pining for her to get ready and come out. Every two minutes, I kept on knocking at the door and pretending to leave. She'd poke through the door, shout her head off and slam it back shut, leaving me grinning. The day after I'd lifted her and tucked her in the bed, I told her I'd sleep in another room.

That was how we spent our nights. She believed I slept in another room, but the truth was I hardly slept.

Not after Elodie died. Because the nightmares never stopped. I winced, closing my eyes at the memories, when the door opened.

Wasn't she a vision.

Edwina had dressed herself in a loose back shirt and pants, just like me. Her hair was piled atop her forehead in a mess of a bun, somehow making her look endearingly sweet. I wanted to pull it free and run my hands through her hair. Even the loose cotton could not hide her perfect curves, which were tucked into her lovely waist.

She looked fucking fantastic.

But then, she could have even carried a potato sack with elegance.

"Come on, Valmont!" she grumbled, flinging something at my head before making her way up the stairs.

"What was that for?!" I complained, ducking and catching it.

It was my blue cloak, the one which I'd asked her for the other day.

"Look," she explained over her shoulder, "the only reason I'm giving this back to you is because it has lost your scent. I expect it back once you've kept it for enough time to make it smell like you."

I chortled out loud, clutching the cloak to my chest. Her fragrance of rose and blueberries clung to it like a signature, irresistibly delectable.

That's fine, I almost said out aloud. Because now that it has come back, it smells like you.

"Come on then, woman," I muttered, waving her over as I climbed the steps to the training room. She hurriedly rushed after me, trying very hard not to look too excited. We needed to get started before dawn cracked into the sky.