9 | ACT I, SCENE IX

P R E V I O U S L Y

There was a hissing in my ears, as I felt my eardrums explode and the world faded to black with the sound of a sword being drawn.

RYVENNDEL MANSION, BELLHAVEN, STEFFITH

AMPHITRITE

"AH," CLOTHO OBSERVED, PULLING DOWN the string from the ceiling and peering closely at it. Her sisters, Lachesis and Atropos, joined her, pulling the spool up to examine it in the light.

The three Fates cackled and screeched like the old hags they were, happily sitting amidst the spools and spools of colored threads.

The Fates, or the Moirai, were descendants of Aurea, the Mother Earth.

She was married to Uranus, the Father Sky. They were the first two immortals, the first god and goddess ever to come into existence from a great Void.

They had had six children - Cosmo, Titania, Emerick, Justaline, Zadicus and Pandora. Uranus became aware of a prophecy that his children would kill them and take his throne. So to prevent it from occurring, he plotted to kill them.

Aurea, his wife, got so unhappy that she decided to end his life. She fashioned a sickle made of a metal called Bloodstone and got her children involved in her plan to kill Uranus. Her middle born son, Cosmo, was the only one who decided to go ahead with it. That night, when Uranus came to her bed, Cosmo attacked him with the sickle, severely injuring him.

The skies shifted, for Uranus was father of the skies. The six planets fell out of their orbits, and would have fallen on land had Aurea, the mother earth, not stopped them. She used an enormous amount of power to fling them back into space, and it left her weak and drained of power. Uranus discovered her betrayal and killed her first. Enraged, Cosmo finally killed him.

Leaving both Uranus and Aurea dead.

When Aurea's body was cremated after her death, the smoke rose from her pyre and condensed into three shapes.

Clotho, Lachesis and Atropos, the Moirai. The Fates.

They weaved and spun, allotted and cut the threads of life - for both, mortal and immortal. The mortals and humans had threads and strings that ran all around the walls of the chamber and into the tapestries. Yet for the gods, they floated around the ceiling, a distinctive existence different from the mortals.

Nearly all the gods' threads trailed happily to the floor, unhooked and free of the looms. Those gods did not need the Fates' aid to find their other half now, for their lives were mapped out, their destinies fixed. Only a very few of them still dangled or were hiked to the looms.