102 | ACT VII, SCENE XIII

P R E V I O U S L Y

'I love you too.'

CARLEIGH PALACE, SUNCAIRN, ELLESMERE

TRISTAN

"ARE YOU SURE?" I CAUTIOUSLY asked her as the wind blew softly, making a few strands of her hair escape as they framed her face.

Edwina looked at me quietly, a gentle glow on her cheeks. She clenched and unclenched her fists, feeling the velvet of her dress slide over her palms. She'd picked out a black gown with golden accents as we dressed quietly in the comfortable silence. Something in me had calmed down as I watched her doing a simple, mundane thing like brushing her hair or putting on her boots - something that reassured me that she truly was back, that she wasn't going anywhere.

"I'm... not sure."

I lightly squeezed her hand.

"We can go back home. You don't have to do this today," my voice was silent. I was afraid she'd be overwhelmed, that she might not be ready yet - but today was a holy night, and she insisted on meeting the others.

Edwina squeezed my fingers in return, eyes twinkling despite the weariness residing in them.

"I want to try," she said hoarsely, even as her grip on my hand tightened ever so slightly.

I smiled, pressing a soft kiss on her head.

"Come on."

The guards outside stiffened at once as they recognized us, faces going white with surprise as they saw the Queen.

Alive.

"Your - your Grace," the one nearest to me choked out, falling to his knees. "Your Grace."

Edwina gave them a knowing smile.

"Praise the heavens, your Grace," he whispered. "They have returned our Queen to us."

I clapped him on the back, and he nodded, and then the gates swung open.

A flood of sparkling lights drowned the lawns as lutes and drums played a soft, lilting melody. Above us, the sky was filled with stars. Laughter, champagne and heady conversations crashed into us like a refreshing wave, and at my side, Edwina let out a little sob of relief.

We took a step in.

And every person present froze.