70 | ACT IV, SCENE IX

P R E V I O U S L Y

And then, her white fingers picked up the black Bloodstone knife and thrust it right into my side.

[TRIGGER WARNING: THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS EXPLICIT DESCRIPTION OF VIOLENCE. READ AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION.]

EDWINA

I REGAINED MY CONSCIOUSNESS WITH a thudding headache, eyes closed against the dull pain. The back of my skull throbbed wretchedly, but more painful was the raw sting of the Bloodstone buried deep into my right side. It burned worse than a branding iron, slowly eating into my flesh. I let loose a curse.

Then I tried to move my hands.

They didn't move.

Something was restraining my arms. My ankles as well. I tried to make out where I was, but there was blackness all around. So dark, it was. So dark. I seemed to be restrained spread eagled on some sort of cross, but it was impossible to make out the actual thing. How long had I been out cold? I cracked open my eyes, but blackness continued to engulf me.

Blindfolded as well.

I was blind, sightless, motionless, restrained. With the Bloodstone sunk into my body, I could no longer call for help. I could not contact Tristan mentally. My powers would sink and curl up into themself. My wounds would stop healing and start burning even more, unless someone pulled the Stone out.

No one could help me now.

My breath came in short, uneven gasps - dry and pained, screeching across my skin in a tangle of injured nerves. I was thirsty, so, so thirsty. I knew I was as good as dead, a lamb awaiting slaughter. I tried wrenching my arms free and felt burning chains dig into my flesh.

Ekrite.

It sawed in deeper and drew blood, but I was too far gone to notice it. My every instinct forced me to fight this unseen enemy, to escape these bonds, to run free once again. I thrust upwards with every muscle I had, gritting my teeth. I could feel the metal groan in strain.

Nothing happened.

"Hmm... looks like our Queen is awake," someone said near me, voice brimming with excitement. A set of dragging footsteps echoed in the darkness. Soft breathing. Someone nudged my hip painfully, a questioning prod from the shadows. I shirked away from the sadistic touch.

"It does seem so," a male voice said, crisp and frigid.

This time I recognized the speaker.