23 | ACT I, SCENE XXIII

P R E V I O U S L Y

"Well, well, well..." Emerick said, tilting his neck slightly to look at me as he popped a crisp fig into his mouth. "Look who's here to join us tonight. Lady Tremayne. How gracious of you to join us."

ARCTON FORTRESS, RIMEBAY, VERTGATE

EDWINA

"LOOK WHO'S HERE TO JOIN us tonight. Lady Tremayne. How gracious of you to join us."

"I'm a Queen, Emerick, not a mere lady. It would be better if you address me as such," I said curtly. "Or you will force me to... punish you."

"Ah. Punish? Me? Lady Tremayne," Emerick said with a nasty sneer, "I doubt you know how to punish anyone. Someone definately needs to punish you, that is certain," he laughed cruelly, his roars echoing off the walls of the stolen Fortress.

My blood began to boil and I pulled Verona behind me.

"I don't know how to punish you, is it?" I hissed venomously. "Wait till I get my whips and knives out, you fool. You won't recognize yourself until I'm done with you," I threatened, slowly gripping my sword, Seraphine.

The guards moved closer into the circle as I drew out my sword, but Emerick stopped them in their tracks with a laugh.

"Little girl," he taunted. "Do you really think you stand a chance against so many men?"

"Obviously," I said loftily. "My Tremayne blood is worth fifty times the scum that flows in your dirty veins."

"My aunt is the Queen Regnant!" Verona whispered fervently. "You shouldn't talk to her like that-"

"Quiet, girl," a guard interjected, moving to her and raising his hand to slap her. My fist gripped his wrist and I crushed his bones in an instant.

"Now you shall see," I barked savagely, pulling out my whip, "what happens when you threaten to harm my family!"

Five of the guards fell on Verona, and I pushed one away, knocking his helmet with my elbow as he tried to catch me arm. Reeling, I kicked back, yet three still remained and my sword slashed through, drawing blood as it cut through their flesh.

"Aunt Edwina!" I heard her yell, and I turned around in my anger to find Verona caught securely in a headlock by Elias, who held a gleaming Bloodstone knife to her throat.

"Now, if you move, the girl gets hurt," he leered, wearing the most nasty smile on his simpering lips. "Or even better... she dies."

"Let her go," I hissed, my fists beginning to smoke slightly as the men began to back away from me.

"Ah. Spirits," Emerick inhaled the wine. "Well, Lady Tremayne, I believe it's time we had a little... chat."

"A chat?" I snapped, raising an eyebrow. Emerick needed no chains or men to keep me rooted to my spot, he knew that holding Verona and threatening to hurt her was more than sufficient to ensure I did not get up to any tricks.