14 | ACT I, SCENE XIV

P R E V I O U S L Y

My touch was lethal. My touch was power. It was time to build my empire.

 It was time to build my empire

CALCHESTER CITADEL, STEFFITH.

EDWINA

"IT IS TIME!" ERIC SHOUTED from the crowd, hand rocketing into the air.

I turned around from where I was standing near the wine fountain at the lavish banquet, my mouth open in the middle of my sip. The goblet clattered to the floor. "Yes," I heard Eros boom and chuckle, rubbing his hands together and eyeing the Moirai.

"It is time!"

Everyone began to make lewd gestures, taking up the call. I watched the luminescent Helios throw back his head and laugh at something Vanessa said, and my heart began to thump like drums.

"Tristan, Tristan, Tristan!" Aidon started to chant, waving his hands in the air, popping open a bottle of champagne and spraying it all around.

"Edwina, Edwina, Edwina!" Llewellyn shouted with a grin, Amphitrite giggled and people started to clap.

"Come on!" Eric nudged me as I looked around, my mouth dry.

It was time for the... wedding night.

I saw the crowd make way for my new... husband who was walking to me with long strides, silver amusement on his face. His eyes darkened as everyone urged him on, making my blood thrum even louder as the attractive god finally came to a halt in front of me, hair windblown.

Damn those party goers. They wouldn't leave us alone until they saw us to the... bedroom.

"Look," I hissed under my breath, "the happier we look about this, the sooner we get to end this farce."

Tristan slightly leaned in, his long fingers coming to a rest on my shoulder. I fought hard to regain control of my raging lust  as our shoulders brushed, inhaling his rich scent over the loud crowd.

"I wanted to apologize first for-" he began, and I cut him off with an impatient glare.

"-look, will you or will you not pick me up? I don't want to hear your stupid apology."

"-come on, you sexy crackpots! Time to do the nasty!" Vanessa yelled in my ear, drunk, showering rose petals on us as she danced. My cheeks warmed as Tristan raised his eyebrow, miserably muttering something to himself about intolerable lunatics.

"Watch it!" I yelled, caught off guard as my knees suddenly gave way.

A few seconds later, I was aware of his strong, sturdy arms catching me before I tripped off balance. As if I weighed nothing, Tristan effortlessly scooped me up. Settling me in the crook of his arm as my heels dangled over his other elbow,  I saw a devilish smile on his face as he gallantly cocked his head to me.