65 | ACT IV, SCENE IV

P R E V I O U S L Y

Finally, I picked up the Cube. And when my fingers started turning the edges again, I knew I was going to unlock it this time.

 And when my fingers started turning the edges again, I knew I was going to unlock it this time

HARTINGTON CASTLE, ALNWICK, STORMHOLT.

TRISTAN

"COME ON, EDWINA. GET UP," Halette said encouragingly, but she did not crack open an eye and only buried her head into her pillow.

"You have to get up one day, woman. Enough is enough," I demanded, shaking her. "Please."

"Come on," Halette cooed. "We can sit and paint. I found this beautiful view in Cheviot Mountains, it's so pretty. I know you'll love to paint it-"

"I don't want to paint," Edwina whispered, her voice cracking. "I don't want to do anything."

"I got a new crate of wines from my vineyard. We can go taste them," I urged. "The bourbon is so crisp, you can feel the grapes exploding on your tongue-"

"No, thank you."

Halette and I looked at each other desperately. The truth was that since the day she came back from Dracnesse, she seemed... miserable. I hated Lucius Tremayne. Not only for my sister, but for not believing his own daughter. I hated him with all my might. Eric had angrily come to tell me about her solitary escapade, and I'd blown him off with a fierce gust of wind before he flooded my castle with the sea waters. No one believed her. The poor woman was in a mess.

"We can go try out some new dresses. You like red, right? I have some-"

"No, Halette, thank you very much."

"The training room, woman. Let's go practice. I think you're getting less pathetic at blocking me these days," I said.

"No."

"Look, I won't even tie your hand behind you."

"No."

"A fight with your right hand? For old times sake?"

"No."

"I'll let you beat me up as much as you like."

"No."

"I'll even let you win."

"No."

"I'll let you burn it to the ground."