101 | ACT VII, SCENE XII

P R E V I O U S L Y

"Valmont?"

HARTINGTON CASTLE, ALNWICK, STORMHOLT

TRISTAN

THAT VOICE - THAT - THAT DAMNED voice.

I had to be - I had to be dreaming. I had to be. There was no way... no way-

Frozen, shell shocked - my breath caught in my throat, heart stuck in my mouth - I turned around.

The cigarette clenched between my fingers crumbled into pieces.

Eric's face was exultant, a slight smile resting on his lips, grey eyes shining with the light of some great secret. Beside him, Amphitrite looked at me tearfully, her sea green robes billowing about in the cool air.

Both man and wife stepped aside, their faces full of beaming pride, laced with a slight undercurrent of warning danger.

And the person - the person behind them -

A ghost - it was her ghost.

Her - her face - like my nightmares had come to life - she was standing right there... still in that dress of red and blue and gold, with the Tremayne phoenix and Valmont lion embroidered on her cape as it trailed on the floor.

The ghost.

Tears welled up in my eyes, throat closing up fast. The figure looked at me once, twice, and those sea green eyes lit up with wariness, a darkness growing in them as we stared at each other for a full minute.

Eric - Eric had played a very cruel joke... there was no way.

But I had heard her.

"Valmont?"

There it was - there it was again.

I looked at her once again. Itching so hard to touch, afraid she would vanish in front of my eyes. I reached out for her at once, but my footsteps stopped right in the middle of my tracks.

This couldn't be. I was hallucinating. Her ghost - this was her ghost come to play tricks on me again.

"Tristan?"

There was such hollowness, such loneliness blooming in the pit of those ocean eyes, such sadness, that it made my heart break into pieces.