6 | ACT I, SCENE VI

P R E V I O U S L Y

"Excellent," I said, giving him a brilliant smile, flashing my teeth. "I do hope you have prepared yourself for defeat, Favian."

RYVENNDEL MANSION, BELLHAVEN, STEFFITH

AMPHITRITE

"DO YOU HAVE A FUCKING death wish, Edwina?" I shrieked in my sister's ear. We had all been shaken by the fact that she had agreed to such a fight, and even though I didn't doubt her capacity, she could get seriously injured!

"Amphitrite, calm down," she replied calmly, preening into the mirror and curling her lashes.

"Calm down? Calm down?!" I cried. "Favian is strong! He is big, muscular, heavier than you! And he is a man-"

"Cosmo has not allowed Bloodstone in this fight! Come what may, no one is going to die."

"But you could get injured," I tried to reason, making my voice forcefully even. She said nothing, patiently applying a layer of mascara to her lids and batting her lashes, watching the black dry.

"Is it crooked?" she asked me earnestly, not the least bit worried.

"Edwina Tremayne, you put that thing down and listen to me!" I started to get angry, and droplets of water began to fall from the air. They turned to steam with a hiss as my sister flicked her hand and finally looked at me.

"I'm not going to get injured, Amphi. Do you think I'd have agreed to this if I wasn't sure? I could have given up my claim to the throne. But I didn't! Because I am sure about this. Because I will not go down without a fight."

"Please!" I pleaded, pulling at her toned arms like a child. "What if something happens to you?"

She lightly patted my head in a motherly way, unsheathing her sword, Seraphine. It was quite heavy, the hilt filled with rubies and the tip sharpened by diamonds. I wondered how she lifted it, let alone swung it around.

I was half Tremayne and half LeVane, married to Eric, but she was single and all Tremayne.

Filthy rich.

The door opened and father came in.

"Child, you must -"

"You will not deny me this!" she suddenly snapped, turning around. The soft voice she'd been using with me turned harsh. "All my life, it has been my pleasure to do what people say I cannot do. And I will do this."

"I'm not stopping you, my girl-" he consoled her, pouring out a glass of wine "-but keep this in mind - Favian Rotavelle is a serious fighter. He can severely hurt you. The stakes are too high here."