21 | ACT I, SCENE XXI

P R E V I O U S L Y

"Oh yes, I am," Emerick leered. "I am, Eric. I'm going to use your daughter to trick Edwina into thinking Amphitrite is unwell. Then I'm going to Stormholt and lure her here. And then," he grinned, "I'm going to kill Edwina Tremayne."

HARTINGTON CASTLE, ALNWICK, STORMHOLT

TRISTAN

"CRESSIDA!" I I CALLED OUT, ENTERING the Great Hall of Hartington Castle, as my men scattered away to their tasks with a bow and a salute.

"You called, your Grace?" a female voice asked. My golden haired secretary, Cressida, stood at my right, her face alight with worry as I made my way to a velvet couch.

Miriel had fallen asleep on the way back, her tiny frame clinging to my shoulders, curled into my arms. I quietly untangled her arms and placed a soft cushion under her head, laying her on a couch. She turned in her sleep, holding my fingers.

"Please..." she whimpered in her sleep, begging me to stay. Her voice was vulnerable and desperate, and her lids lifted slightly, revealing her sad, violet eyes.

"I'll be right back, child," I sat down next to her and whispered. "You need to rest." She sighed and snuggled closer and I reluctantly drew my fingers from her and got up.

"Your Grace... who is this?" Cressida asked with a bewildered expression.

"A little girl who was in the wrong place at the wrong time," I sighed, examining my knife.

"But... you cannot possibly save them all, my King," she observed. "You have a gentle heart-"

"No," I interjected sharply, my voice firm. "It's hard to have a heart when you've stopped so many others."

"Er - what do you mean?"

"Nothing," I muttered, ruffling my hair as I observed my reflection in a pale window. I realised I'd let my tongue run too far. If I lost it, they would know... what I had done.

No one could know what I had done.

Hiding it all these years had been no problem... until I'd married Edwina Tremayne.

Her sharp eyes seemed to look right through me, threatening to tear out whatever humanity was left of me. It was very dangerous and very hard being around her. And the fact that her lovely form seemed to entice me to death every time I saw her only added to the agony.

All of a sudden, the doors of the Hall banged open and Daniel flew in, hair askew.

"Your Grace! We have visitors," he exclaimed hurriedly, just coming to a stop in front of me, waving his arms about hysterically as I heard footsteps outside.