103 | ACT VII, SCENE XIV

P R E V I O U S L Y

"Elodie," Tristan's voice shook, trembled even - "meet my Queen."

CARLEIGH PALACE, SUNCAIRN, ELLESMERE

EDWINA

WHEN SHE STEPPED INTO THE light, I finally saw the woman he loved so much.

I'd seen her once, before. Once, in a fevered dream full of pain and heartbreak, seen her face break apart into a million pieces before dissolving behind my closed lids. Even then, nothing could have ever prepared me for the shock of finally seeing this woman standing in front of me, alive.

Those eyes. That hair. That very same face, those high cheeks, that sharp jaw.

Eyes filled with tears.

I'd cursed this woman over and over. Called her names. Insulted her memory. Before I finally understood, finally guessed the truth of her and her twin.

The moisture was shining on her cheeks. Her hand reached out, wanting to touch, but quietly did she draw it back when her gaze met mine. Instead, she dug into the sleeve of her midnight blue dress and brought out a heavy golden locket.

"Edwina, I-" she raised her eyes to mine, her voice just as I had imagined, soft and full, lilting like the gentle breeze. "You - you've probably had enough of tears... so," her gaze darted to her brother, who nodded his head almost imperceptibly. "I will never be able to thank you enough for what you did," Elodie whispered.

"I-"

"Please," the slender goddess insisted. "Hear me out." 

I sighed deeply and nodded, and her lovely, trusting blue eyes filled with gratitude. Something about her reminded me of the breeze at sunset, lovely and soft and endlessly beautiful at the same time.

"You - you are the bravest person I've ever known. My only regret in this pitiful, short life is that we couldn't meet before. Before... before what happened. With Thanatos," her voice cracked at the end. Behind me, Tristan tensed, and I could feel the sky rumble above our heads. "I - I did not deserve your mercy. You owed me nothing. You owed us nothing. But you, Edwina Tremayne, you gave and gave and gave, even when they took everything from you. You gave us all so much, and we will never be able to repay what you did. You saved my brother, and me - me, Edwina. You gave me another chance. Another shot at life. When you could have chosen your father, your mother... but no. I have never seen a more selfless person. The universe tests some people over and over again, and here you are at the end of it - still standing."