93 | ACT VII, SCENE IV

P R E V I O U S L Y

"Kill them both," Pandora's eyes gleamed with delight as she nudged my father and brother with her boot. "With your own hands."

HEWE, STEFFITH

HEWE, STEFFITH.

TRISTAN

HELP. THEY WERE COMING TO help us.

The three armies pierced the ring of soldiers that had chased the remaining fragments of our forces into a tight knot, breaking through the lines of the deadly opponent and hitting them hard. Theodore quietly watched with tears streaking down his grimy face at the sight of his brother's indigo blue banners. The three armies cleaved apart the opponent like a white hot iron, parting an easy way through the sea of black and red to get to us.

"I dragged them out of their caves," Geneva grinned, dismounting from an elaborate chariot with an impossibly tall spear in her hands. She motioned to the golden armored Dessari soldiers, all with their faces bearing various grumbles, with Reynald at the front, his expression annoyed. "Had to force them out of their cozy little island before breaking into their minds."

"You - you manipulated their minds?" I looked at her, my eyes wide. "An entire army?"

"It is hard to keep up with the strain," Randall stalked to us, red eyes gleaming with ferocity. Sweat was already trickling down his temples as his gaze remained concentrated on the Dessari army, which looked around five thousand strong. "They are quite strong willed," he chuckled, pointing to Remora who was eyeing us distastefully. "Especially that woman."

"The rest of you go on and fight," Adriel said smoothly. "Randall and I will keep up the manipulation on their minds so that the Dessari join your forces. Geneva will fight with you, as will our own men."

Eric gave them a grateful nod as Helios began to consolidate the rest of our new forces, grouping them into lines to strike back hard. I dared not hope - but if we could hold up with all these men, hold up a little bit longer until Edwina dealt with the third piece... hope shined at the end of the distant tunnel, like a star in the darkness.

"You came back!" Theodore exclaimed as Leonard buckled a sword at his side, his usually wary and stern expression broken by affection.

"Thought you might need some help," the Grendel muttered gruffly, looking right at me. "The second half of my army is yours."

I nodded my thanks as Reynald approached us, his face sour.

"Where do you want us?" he snarled.

Rowan and I looked at each other in amusement - the proud, cold man had been broken into this - this - all thanks to the Halflings, this was what was left.