68 | ACT IV, SCENE VII

P R E V I O U S L Y

I had kissed Llewellyn.

HARTINGTON CASTLE, ALNWICK, STORMHOLT

EDWINA

NO.

NO!

IT HAD HAPPENED again. It had happened again! I had tried to resist it, tried to break free, but Llewellyn had kissed me even when I struggled. Oh, god, no. I looked at him. He was nervously looking at his hands, not daring to look at me, angrily saying something to himself. Then, very slowly, I saw him raise his dark grey eyes to meet his elder brother's, with a scared frown wedged between his eyebrows.

I did not dare to even look at Tristan.

Because I loved him. I loved him, I thought he felt something for me as well, and I knew I would always be faithful to him. But then, how, how in hell had I ended up this way again?

This time, I knew I was beyond forgiveness. He had a large heart, but I knew I had lost him this time. Forever. Because Llewellyn wasn't Eric. Llewellyn was Llewellyn. His younger brother. His brother who he so deeply cared for. And he had seen him kissing his wife, who had kissed another man in front of him before.

I wished the earth would open and swallow me up when I fearfully dared myself, inch by inch, to look at Tristan.

He was stiffer than a statue. Stiff, and white, and whiter than marble. All the colour had leached out of his already pale skin, in scaring contrast to his black cloak. There was no trace of his eyes having ever been blue, because they were black now, a pure, ominous black, with not even a flicker of the silver flecks that shone there before.

Demanding and harsh, cruel and deadly - predatorily lethal in a way I had never seen him before.

The steely glint was trained right at me, frightful. For the first time since I had seen this man, I actually saw how terrifying he looked. Cold and terrifying. He actually scared me. But what scared me more was that he did not make one effort to come to either of us, or tear us apart, or say a single word. Not a single word. At all. Fear laced my veins like poison already flowing there. I swore I would never drink again.

"Tr-Tristan-" Llewellyn managed to choke out, his voice shaking. "Say something - I - she - I was drunk - she - she had - I had drunk a lot of wine - I - she kissed me first!'

"I did not!" I shouted, sitting up right and feeling my head spin with alcohol. "I was just sitting there, and you came and kissed me, and even when I tried to break free you wouldn't let me go!"