A little black colt.

Little Dawn was struggling with giving birth as the husband paced back and forth in the hallway, hoping his child would grow up strong. When he heard the child cry, he ran into the room to see the child look nothing like him or the mother. The child was completely black, had a horn, and wings, which neither of the parents had, he was an alicorn.

"What is this?!" The husband asked angrily. "This is not my child!"

"Sundance, it's not-!" Little Dawn was cut off.

"I'm not hearing it!" He shouted, he then left.

Little Dawn looked at the small colt, she held him close.

"Don't worry, my little one, I'll take care of you." She said happily.

After the other doctors left, Little Dawn took her small colt to try and get him to walk, but he wouldn't.

'Oh no, he's not like other ponies, he's special.' She thought, then stared for a moment. "No, he's not retarded special, he's unique special like my father was before him." She said.

The colt sat up and looked up at Little Dawn, he smiled happily as he stretched out his wings and giggled.

"Your name will be Black Death, for you are the new pony of death to take your grandfather's place." Little Dawn said as she leaned down to the colt. "Even though you won't understand until you're older, and your good for nothing father will miss this."

Black giggled happily, but being rather slower than most ponies, Little Dawn had to be more patient, caring, and understanding of the child. Dark Hero was the same way, he was a slow learner and took time to even walk when he was born, and even longer to learn to speak. Little Dawn was doing her best to teach Black Death all she knew, but when he started to get older and started to learn to speak, it was clear that he was not prepared for his life ahead, mostly because he hated death, so Little Dawn had to stop calling him that and just called him Black or Blackie. The poor child was picked on and made fun of because of his long mane, his mother had it braided often, and the child would keep asking if he had a dad and why she had a cutie mark but most everypony else didn't, and he would always get the answer back.

"I have a cutie mark because I am happy with what I'm doing, and when other ponies realize it, they will get them too." Little dawn would always smile. "But there are times where a cutie mark chooses you."

So Black would always keep his chin held high, wanting to be just like his mother and get a cutie mark too.