A nightmare and a sighting.

Black was standing at the edge of the forest as Celestia just stood and watched, she kept trying to get to him, but the harder she tried, the further he seemed.

"Black, I'm sorry!" Celestia shouted.

She sat up in bed quickly as she panted, she looked up at an old painting that had her and Luna in it when they first became princesses, she lowered her ears in sadness. She went down to the dining hall and sat in her chair, Luna then came down.

"Good morning, Celestia." Luna said.

"I had that dream again." Celestia said quietly.

Luna went quiet. "Did you get to him this time?" She asked in a hushed tone.

"No, he was further away this time, and I don't think he could hear me." Celestia replied in the same tone.

They just sat in silence as they thought, then Celestia rose the sun. Throughout the day Twilight Sparkle and her friends were just having fun, but later that night when Twilight was back at her castle, Rarity was looking out her window while making an outfit when she noticed a dark pony walking through town, she decided to follow. As she was following the mysterious pony, he got to a house where an elderly mare lived who was rather sick, the pony stood by the door, then it opened as they went in. Rarity ran off in fear and got to Twilight's castle and went in, she pushed Twilight out of bed.

"Rarity, what's wrong? It's the middle of the night!" Twilight asked.

"I saw a dark pony in town, they went to the old mare who's been sick and broke into her house!" Rarity replied in a panic.

"Okay, now you're just being ridiculous, what if it was a relative?" Twilight asked.

"Just come on! They didn't look like any normal pony!" Rarity said.

The two went off to see the dark pony was now leaving the old mare's house, but there were white markings all over their body that made them look like a zebra, but with wings and a horn.

"See?" Rarity asked. "I told you!"

The dark pony looked up at the moon, they bowed slightly.

"Thank you, Luna, I appreciate the concealment you gave at this hard time." They said, he sounded like a masculine stallion.

He walked off and opened a strange black portal and went through, he was gone from sight.

"Great, now he's gone!" Rarity shouted.

"Oh, and that's my fault?" Twilight asked angrily.

They didn't talk for the rest of the night as Twilight went back to her castle, the next morning, everyone received news that the old mare passed on last night. Twilight being confused, she went to go see princess Celestia in the palace, which Celestia was rather happy about.

"What brings you here?" Celestia asked.

"The old mare in town died last night, and Rarity thinks it was this mysterious pony last night." Twilight replied.

"Mysterious pony?" Celestia asked quickly. "What did they look like?"

"Well, he was rather small and had wing and a horn that was curved up, he had white markings all over him that made him appear like a zebra." Twilight replied.

Celestia was quiet for a moment. "Did he look like a skeleton?" She asked.

"I don't know, his mane and tail were covering his entire body." Twilight replied. "It was dragging at least 9 or 10 feet behind him, and it looked rather matted."

Celestia was quiet. "Thank you for letting me know, but you shouldn't worry much about him, he's just doing his job." She said.

"Job?" Twilight asked in confusion.

"He might be the Pony of Death, and the markings on his body is his cutie mark, which sets him apart from every other pony." Celestia replied. "But he hasn't been seen in nearly 10,000 years."

"Why did we see him then?" Twilight asked.

"Maybe you were just lucky." Celestia replied. "Now, be on your way."

Twilight left as Celestia sat in silence, the description of what Twilight explained, somewhat matched what Black looked like nearly 10,000 years ago.