Chapter 17: Birth of the White Fox

As Mingxia Jie and Princess Xiao sat in the carriage together still laughing about the General, the carriage arrives at a halt. They look out the curtain to see that they have arrived at Kangxi wangfu, as they lightly smile as they depart with a quick hug. Mingxia Jie gets off the carriage and walks into the wangfu, only to be welcomed by her personal maids. She smiles and hugs all three of them before grabbing He's hand and walk to her courtyard.

As they arrive at her inner courtyard, Mingxia Jie sees a familiar figure sitting at a stone table outside of her garden. She approaches before standing in front of Kangxi wangye. They look at each other, Mingxia Jie looks at him with blank eyes and Kangxi wangye spoke with hastiness:

-"What took so long?"

-"I had to choose out good able bodies."

-"What for?"

"To create an elite squad."

Kangxi wangye looked puzzled at Mingxia Jie, he did not believe that she was capable of training men. But then again, she had subdued quite a few of his friends. And that was a feat on its own. He looked at the pond behind her and reminded himself of how close he was to losing himself in her. He shook his head to get it out of his mind, before making eye contact with Mingxia Jie. He sighed:

-"What do you plan on doing with them?"

-"That's for me to know and you to find out."

She put her finger to her lips and smiled before strolling away from him. He looked back at his departing wife, and thought to himself 'Why?' He looked back out onto the pond before reminding himself why he had come to her courtyards.

-"Wangfei?"

-"What is it?"

-"I've gotten rid of the shiqi Li Chuntao and the ce fei is currently waiting for you in the reception room."

-"Ah, okay."

Mingxia Jie departed and began to walk towards the reception hall with her head lowered and sighed. She was tired and didn't want to deal with such a woman when she was exhausted after choosing an elite squad. As Mingxia Jie approached the reception room, she could hear a woman cursing her name and her maids. Mingxia Jie looked back at her personal maids who had all avoided eye contact with her. She sighed and opened the door, the sounds of a woman cursing her name and maids had seemed to disappear. However, that was not case.

She looked to see that the panicked maids had been able to breathe when they saw Mingxia Jie walk in. Mingxia Jie was both impressed and disgusted by the ce fei's actions. She had never treated her badly, so she did not understand the cursing. She sat at the head of the table and drank the tea presented before her. She took a sip and later looked at the ce fei. She was disgusted by how she paid respects with the least amount of humanly possible respect. She cut corners and sneered as she gave them thinking that Mingxia Jie couldn't see it. By the time she had finished, Mingxia Jie stood up and left the room without even exchanged one word. Che Baozhai was furious and stormed out of the reception room and decided to destroy her bamboo and rock garden and camellia garden. She had mentioned that she did not want her paying respects but here she was making a fool of herself in Mingxia Jie's courtyard.

Lifen reported her actions immediately to Mingxia Jie, but she was too tired to deal with her for now. She had walked out of the reception room and stood out in the hallway before calling on Zhang Heng:

-"I need you to buy me white assassins' garb."

-"Why? And why not black?"

-"I've already dealt with one idiot; I don't want to deal with another. Go do as I say."