Chapter 62

Mingxia Jie looked bewilderedly at Laohu. She had not expected the transformation, nor the Queen that now resided in her mind, or the complexity of Laohu. She looked suspiciously at Laohu. He knew how to shift between a human and an animal, that meant that the form that Loahu took now was not the old shape he could take. Mingxia Jie gave him a suspicious look. Laohu realized that he had revealed himself by accident and returned to his human shape. Laohu had long black hair cascading down his back, bright golden eyes staring back at Mingxia Jie and a handsome complexion. 

-"Are you satisfied?"

Mingxia Jie nodded her head 

I would be much more satisfied if he started to disro-

-"QUIET!"

Laohu looked at her confused. He had not spoken a word. Why was she telling him to be quiet? Laohu cried in his heart, what had he done to annoy her so much. Mingxia Jie's face was black from the Queen's comment. Ink could drip from how black her face was. She rubbed her temple delicately before regaining her previous composure. She looked around at the party of misfits around her before letting out a begrudging sigh. She sat down and asked for the party to sit with her. 

-"What exactly is going with me?"

Everyone looked to Laohu to break the news to her, because they feared for themselves rather than Laohu. Laohu threw the party a bitter smile. Surely he would get payback for throwing him under the carriage for this matter. The party felt a cold shiver run down their backs from the silent threat that was sent their way. The guardian snorted and crossed his arms leaning back as to say 'go on then'. Laohu truly felt like spitting out black blood from how these demons had yellow lines down their backs. But truly they were all thinking the same thing. 'Self preservation'.

-"Mingxia Jie, do you wish for the complicated version or the simplified version?"

-"Complicated."

She did not hesistate nor did she care if she lost her sense of self. So far this had been the weirdest night of events in both her lifetimes. Nothing could faze her at this point. Even the brief explanation from the Queen had her guessing about what was the truth. True their were holes in her theory in which Laohu would fill and clear up. 

-"Well, you've always had the soul of the Queen. Why do you think you always leaned to do evil in a just way? Your soul is naturally equipped to hide the Queen's soul. That is the reason she has not died yet. We wish to revive her, so we are headed to Penglai Island in order to do that. In reawakening her you will have an absolute amount of power. Besides this -"

-"You said power? Would I be able to leave the island afterwards?"

-"Yes, well actually no. You are able to leave the island. But for a limited amount of time. Depending on how much demon you have in you the longer the time. Since you've already started the transformation, this world will not affect your darkness. But as more time goes on and you turn more demon like the change will affect you. It's not until you are more than halfway demon that the effects will be null given how much darkness is protecting you."

-"So I will be fine for a while, then be in excrutiating pain, and then fine again."

Laohu nodded his head, this was not a complete lie. Even now the party of misfits had to partake in rituals in order to not be in pain from the heavens. At most they felt like a big bite if they had pushed off the ritual, but the strongest will only feel a tingling on the skin. Mingxia Jie nodded along to the explanation that had occurred.

-"Why do you wish to reawaken your ruler?"

-"Isn't that obvious. A country can not exist if there is no ruler."

-"But wouldn't you have someone else?"

-"We do, but they are a temporary until we find our Queen. She will be the one to guide us to greatness once more like in the past."

Mingxia Jie did not dwell so much on what that meant because she finally had a way to defeat Master Yu. Truth be told she could have done that once she left Jiang; but this was an interesting side adventure that would further help her to pummel Master Yu into the ground.

This was something she would gladly do in order to make that green tea bitch suffer a fare worse than death. Mingxia Jie would not turn down the possibility, although she felt she did not have the full story. If it benefited her vengeance that she had no reason to go against it.

-"How long till we get to South Chang?"

-"Well now that we've cleared that up. It will be much faster to travel."

Before Mingxia Jie's eyes she saw how the demons returned to their original forms. Laohu returned to a tiger and let out a fierce roar. Beside him Bael turned into a swallow and flew around and perched on Mingxia Jie's shoulder.

Hiisi became a deer, while Iblis turned into a flaming angel. As Mingxia Jie stared at the various creatures beside her she felt a comfort of belonging. Something she hadn't felt in a long period of time since in both her lifetimes.

She let the Queen give her wings back. When she felt the extra weight once more she flapped them various time to accustom herself to the movement. After a few attempts she felt the wind under her wings and started flying a few feet above the ground.

She smiled to herself as she rose higher into the air. Iblis and Bael followed her into the moonless sky. Mingxia Jie giggled to herself as she broke through the canopy of trees.

Looking at the Starry night sky above her and the trees below her she truly felt happy. Iblis pointed in the direction they were heading and flapped his own wings ahead. So Iblis lead the front while Bael guarded the rear.