Chapter 31: Asking

As the sun rose, the Princess had begun to feel the effects of the poison. Early in the morning the Princess started to develop rashes and couldn't stop scratching. The scratching turned into the blistered that covered her upper arms and legs. Her scream rose through the imperial palace, waking up the whole palace causing alarm and panic to spread. Her blisters started to bleed and the pain became immense. As the irritation continued the maids ran to find the imperial physician. The physician entered and saw the princess crying and screaming. He tries to treat her using multiple different concoctions and even calls on the power of the gods to save her, but hence fails multiple times. As he tries to treat the crying Princess he doesn't notice the incense. This continues for a while and the imperial physician began to develop the same symptoms as well as her maids. The screams of the maids and the Princess cause the Imperial Palace to be in chaos and disaster.

When the Emperor caught word, he tries to go into the chambers only to be blocked telling him that other than his daughter, multiple maids and even the imperial physician was also infected. He yells and the physician comes out, kowtowing profusely the Imperial physician says that he hasn't yet found an antidote and is working on it. The Emperor is in a rage and kicks the physician into one of the nearby pillars. He is fuming by the time he looks that the royal adviser.

-"What should I do? I want to save my child!?"

-"I have heard that Mingxia Jie has medical knowledge, though-"

-"Where is she!?"

-"In the same place you left her."

The Emperor stalks off and finds Mingxia Jie lying about in her cell. She was changed from her light blue dress into a bright red one, that had gold imprints of plum blossoms on the dress. Mingxia Jie looks to see the Emperor and his dark face. Mingxia Jie doesn't say a word as he sees the Emperor open the cell and close the distance between them and picks Mingxia Jie up by the collar

-"Save my daughter!"

-"Why?"

-"What do you mean why?! I am the Emperor! Do as I tell you too!"

-"Why? I have no reason to help someone who threw me in jail."

-"Because I told you to! And... no one else can save her..."

-"I have my own conditions."

-"What?!"

-"Wait in the secret room that is connected to her room."

-"How do you-"

-"Hunch."

From Mingxia Jie's cell she could hear Princess Shui's screams, it was music to her ears. Although the Emperor had agreed to her terms he was still skeptical that Mingxia Jie could save Shui. But he had to try and bet on her, but as he is about to walk out of the cell carrying Mingxia Jie, the sound of laughter interrupts both. In the entrance of the cell door a man in red stands in front with his arms crossed and his body leaning against the cell door.

The Emperor puts Mingxia Jie on the ground and faces Peizhi. His face is pale as he stares Peizhi, but does not move an inch. Mingxia Jie was right as the Peizhi she knew in her past life is the same Peizhi, tears threaten to fall but she remains composed as she looks at Peizhi. Peizhi looks at the emperor with a cheerful smile on his face.

-"Emperor! So, glad to meet you again. I see you've had my prize here this whole time. I was going to leave earlier and pick my prize up later, but the chaos in your palace has really impressed me and I decided to stay. Though I must ask, why is my prize in a jail cell?"

-"Um..Well... You see, Peizhi she killed one of my most trusted advisors..."

-"No she didn't."

-"What!?!"

-"Yeah. She didn't kill anyone at all. I saw the whole thing. I was about to leave when I saw your daughter with a few men dragging a body to a room, the Princess was talking about how she was going to get back at that 'slut' for what she did. I didn't know or care who was in that room til now."

-"There is no possible way, my sweet daughter would do that."

Mingxia Jie looked at Peizhi, and then focused her attention on the Emperor, stating that she would treat his daughter but he had to listen to her terms. She turned and bowed to ask Peizhi to keep an eye on the Emperor while she was treating the Princess. Peizhi shrugged and nodded that he would do it. The Emperor became nervous at how well both people had quickly cornered him into agreeing. But he had to save his daughter. He then escorted Mingxia Jie and Peizhi out of the jail.