Chapter 24: Upon Arrival

Mingxia Jie looks at the Princes' before deciding to interrupt their silent conversation.

-"I would not like to be rude, but the night seems to dragging on and the weather getting worse. I will be heading back to the inn."

-"Jie'er is right, I'll accompany you back. We'll see you two tomorrow."

As Mingxia Jie and Princess Xiao walked back, Mingxia Jie felt although the princes were not discussing about something that was relevant to her. She felt she would have to watch her step in the imperial palace as if she did not, she might be imprisoned for a wrong doing. When both women entered the inn, the princes looked back and forth between each other and the door to the inn. They had received news of Mingxia Jie, but had to be sure that she was in fact; real. It had turned out that what the man had told them was true.

-"Brother, I had expected that Mingxia Jie was a diety. The way the man described her was as though he painted her as a goddess."

-"Though he was right. I must say, that man either holds affection for the married lady or has something bigger planned."

-"What should we do then? We said we would comply if he had won the gamble and he certainly has."

-"Fret not. There are still two other siblings, if either of them dislikes her we aren't part of the deal."

-"The man's gamble was truly weird. Calling her a goddess amongst women was not something that any man would say."

The supposed gamble the oldest brothers spoke about was something that not even Mingxia had been prepared for. Two days before the arrival of the women, a man dressed in full red appeared telling them of Mingxia Jie. The royal family did not believe him, he asked that the family make a bet with him. If either of the four children had disliked her then he would leave with Mingxia Jie; however, if he lost then the family would have no part in the scheme of the red-clothed man.

The family felt confident that she would not be disliked, though they had felt fear in their hearts as the youngest prince, Xang Lei was the most timid and unapproachable. Back at the small inn, none had been aware of the ongoing turbulence that the man in red had caused. As the royal family was worried, the rest of the country slept soundly after the first day of the snow goddess celebration.

The next morning, Mingxia Jie was woken by the chill of the morning and the popping of the last dying embers. She got up, as the rest of the town slept. She had not seen a soul on her way down the stairs. She had been barefoot and in a white robe hanging loosely. She had long since felt the snow beneath her feet and left her footprints and robe drag over the fresh snow. A smile appeared as she walked towards the plum blossoms to smell the freshness.

The sound of something dropped surprised Mingxia Jie as she thought she was alone. At the sight of seeing both Princes', she was amazed. She had never once seen a royal be awake at such an ungodly hour. The oldest wore a dark purple robe embroidered with gold clouds on the robe, with a dragon peeking out. While the second Prince wore a gold, robe embroidered with silver clouds. The Princes' had not expected to see Mingxia Jie, and much less like this.

Mingxia Jie had lightly pulled her hair back with a silver ribbon and wore a white robe hanging loosely around pastel blue clothing that had silver peonies embroidered. The snow reflected her white fair skin and had large black eyes with plump red lips. How the man in red described her, truly fit what they were seeing.

Mingxia Jie's smile slowly disappeared as she walked up and bowed before leaving not saying a word to either of them. When she arrived at her room she got dressed and warmed her feet before putting on a simple blue dress with gold embroidered camellias and placing a fur jacket on top with before leaving with hand warmers.

As she got onto the carriage her mood had lightened and had breakfast in the carriage with the Princess. Outside on the streets, the people had continued to celebrate the goddess and gave thanks for the princes' visit. Mingxia Jie opened the curtains to see the town covered in a light layer of snow with blue and silver lanterns hanging on either side, with fires lit to keep everyone warm.

As they rode through the town, multiple women saw the Princes' and threw them flowers and wishing best of luck to the Princes' in finding a wife[Although they would probably never have a problem with it]. The flowers were of different colours varying, as well as throwing sashes and belts at the Princes' and their guards.

Upon arriving at the imperial city, the streets are the same in the towns they had passed. Blue and silver decorate the streets, but by midday, the people had begun to play music and dance. Street vendors sold many things including hairpins, dresses, masks, and food. While laughing and singing with many of the people around. When they reached the edge of the imperial palace, the women had stepped out and had been chatting. Princess Xiao was allowed in a larger sedan and Mingxia Jie as put in a smaller one. When they stepped out, they had resumed conversation before entering the main hall following behind both Princes. Everyone was looking weirdly at the women as they thought Mingxia Jie was Princess Xiao's newest maid and not her plus one. When they entered the main hall, they were greeted by both the Emperor of Xue and the Empress of Xue, both of which was extremely rare. The Princes' sat closest to their father based on their birth with Xang Li first, Xang Jin second, Xang Shui the Princess third, and Xang Lei last. Though neither Xang Shui or Xang Lei could be found.