Chapter 53

Never had anyone seen Kangxi wangye as irritable as today. The bad news just continued to pile on as the day went by. First, it started with maid getting the wrong breakfast, that was minimal there was nothing he could do about it. Next, he received word that there was a flash flood back home and more than 50% of his assets were destroyed. He sighed knowing that nothing could be done about it except recuperate. Afterwards, he was told that the diplomats of South Chang had sent a distress signal about how more of his assets were destroyed. By this point, he was depressed about eating such a terrible loss in South Chang. After lunch and tea, he finally snapped with the news about not being able to find his wife. 

So much money and effort went into finding her in Jiang, but it seemed like there really was nothing to be done about it. Until he heard that Peizhi had been able to get inside of the imperial city and had disappeared into smoke in the city. Kangxi wangye thought to himself that there was no possible way that insane man would reach Mingxia Jie before he would. If it was possible that he would die with hatred. He seethed in his rage to wring Peizhi's neck and fretted about what his wife would do. His mind ran wild with what possibly Peizhi would want with his wife if it was a kidnapping he'd be sure to strangle the bastard before he even laid a hand on her. He would send him the seventh hell if he ever tried to touch a single hair on her head.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Inside Jiang, Peizhi felt a cold shiver go down his back and looked back at where he came from. True the sewers were where an individual would die, but it also one of the only places that most guards don't check because of the smell. He reached inside his robe to find the object he was looking for. He pushed a bit of his qi to let the object come to life. It was a small fox, the size of the palm of a man's hand. 

When the fox came to life, Peizhi took out the small piece of cloth he had from his Master's bedroom before. Yes, it was very much creepy how he had snuck into a dead woman's room and poked around in her closet, but we aren't here to judge. Continuing on. He gave the fox the piece of cloth to sniff and hopped out of his hand, the creature sped off in a different direction with a small trail of Peizhi's qi trailing the fox so that he could follow it. The trail led him all over Jiang, he thought to himself why his Master had been everywhere, but he never questioned whatever it was she did. The trail led him to the rundown Velvet Piano. When he placed his hand against the door, he felt a power run through. 

He smirked. The bastard had set up an array. Without knowing where the door was, he would be unable to find his Master. Even if he were to scale the walls, it would be never-ending because the array would simply play with his mind and not let him accomplish his goal. That was when his ears twitched from a distant sound. He leaned casually against the so-called door that was a wall when a few guards arrived. They eyed Peizhi suspiciously before placing their weapons in his face. 

-"Are you the murderer of the Governor General?"

-"Gentlemen, gentlemen. Why would a murderer stand outside and get caught? But I DO  know where the real murderer is."

The guards pointed their blades closer to him. He gulped a bit before carefully pulling the swords away from him.

-"He's right in there."

Peizhi pointed directly to the Velvet Piano. The guards chuckled darkly.

-"You fool, that place is restricted. There is an array there so that no one can get in."

Peizhi almost deflated. Then a devious plan came to mind.

-"Oh really? Are you completely sure? Haven't you ever wondered what is behind there? I mean come on? Why not a sneak peek, it would do no harm, besides the array is easy to take down."

The guards looked curiously at the door, Peizhi could see the intrigue the held the guards in place. With a simple nod, they started to slash at the door with a vigour that isn't really seen very often.

On the other side of the wall, both Mingxia Jie and Bai looked curiously at the wall. A few minutes of thumping passed as the tiniest of cracks started to show on the wall. This made Bai's eyebrows furrow at their impending doom. He understood that he only had a matter of hours. He fled to collect supplies and went to one of the tiles that were nearby them. He lifted up the heavy tile and slid it over to show underneath a hole that darkness consumed. He disappeared into the hole as he dropped the supplies off at the bottom.
Bai moved effectively as everything around him started to crumble. The building shook violently as Bai finished up putting away everything. He looked sympathetically at Mingxia Jie.

-"Sorry Jie'er."

Mingxia Jie looked confusedly at Bai as he picked her up and threw her over his shoulder. If the moment hadn't been so dire he would have done things differently. He carried her over to the hole.

-"Sorry. This will open in a few days. There should be more than enough supplies for you to survive off of. You know you have to go now. This is our final goodbye."

-"Bai? What are you talking about?"

Tears gathered in Mingxia JIe's eyes as Bai looked at her with one last smirk before dropping her into the dark hole.

-"Forgive me Jie'er."

Bai covered once more the hole with the tile and with his magic he sealed the entrance. Just as he finished the wall broke. Two guards rushed in frantically, but their eyes held exhaustion. They stared in disbelief as Bai scowled, but not at the guards, but rather at Peizhi. 

___________________________________________________________

Someone asked whether or not I would finish the book, I will. The reason behind such a lazy schedule is because it's not my biggest priority right now in my life. And that's a lazy excuse, but you decide for yourself. I personally feel like I've let you done, but hopefully, the ending will make for the lack of posting when I get there. It's been a rough few weeks and I hope you can forgive me for being lazy.