Chapter 37: Escapade

After multiple times the horse tried to throw her off, the black stallion complied to her wishes. Looking up at the man who had been chasing her; she could not believe what she saw. Bai was smiling down on her; in her heart she knew she had to escape but that gorgeous smile kept her still. Bai’s smile made his blue eyes soften and seem like a calm pond. His hair fluttered around his face, the web-like hair sticking to his lashes and his white excentric brows made the view much more dazzling. The more she stared, the more ensnared she felt. She looked at the visual perfection that was Bai and she creased her brows in confusion. She had seen multiple handsome and peerless men smile; but never once before had she seen such a genuine smile. Looking now at it; she was both confused and as well uncontrollably happy at the sight. She thought in her mind, she had met Bai multiple times as both a man and woman and they had both smiled. But both sides knew it was a facade. Now returning to those memories she had overlooked a key point. They were strangers to each other. They were worlds apart separated by the very distance that seemed so unrealistic. ‘Strangers’. The word pricked Mingxia Jie’s heart. She had no reason why the sudden emotion. So many emotions swirled under her butterfly lashes in the depths of her eyes. All emotions Bai could notice. Happiness, sadness, regret, and anger. Never had Bai once been able to see such a large amount of emotions on full display for him. As Bai looked down on Mingxia Jie an overwhelming happiness crossed him as he had never had fun in a chase. But he knew it was more than that; but he did not want to show his heart to himself and accept those emotions.

She blanked and the shouts of guardsmen woke her from her mind. She looked around to see a small army start to close in. She looked up to see Bai still staring at her and decided that she mustn't delay. She spurred the horse to gallop towards the walls. When the guards saw a large black stallion galloping their way, they merely believed that someone’s horse was untied. The horse sped past the station, but the soft scent of camilla permeated and they looked back to see a small woman riding on the large horse. Their jaws dropped and called for Kangxi wangye; as they were told to not let anyone leave the city. When he heard someone had escaped; he threw his tea into the wall. He was furious as to find out his wife had disappeared and now someone had escaped!
-”WHO ESCAPED!   
- “I...It….was a woman… th...that...smelled of camilla...si..sir…”
- “Camilla…? It’s her… Which gate?”
-”S..sss...south...e.ee...eastern..”
- “Grab my horse and a few men and wait by the gate.”
- “Sir?”
-”I SAID GO!”
- “Yes..sir”

Kangxi wangye knew that woman was his wife. There was no doubt about it. And he trusted her to signal him outside. As he rode to the gate he was met with the group of masked men. A frown spread across his handsome face.
-”Where is your wife?”
- “She is nunya.”
- “Nunya?”
- “Yes. None of your business.”

He immediately galloped off to the south eastern gate and left the masked men behind. All the men were fuming from Kangxi wangye. They knew their missions was important and that the place she was to head was sacred and Kangxi wangye had no right to interfere, they immediately disappeared without a trace seconds later. As Mingxia Jie galloped farther a small boy came into view and a small dry field was also seen. He boy was crying so Mingxia Jie looked at the boy, the boy looked up at the beautiful woman and wiped away his tears.
“Miss? Do you have any money? My family’s harvest wasn’t enough and now how do help my family get by?
“I do have money but would it be alright if I burned your harvest.”
“How much and there is nothing of value in the field so it would be alright. But why would you burn a field?”
“Don’t worry about it. Just tell a man named Kangxi wangye that his wife had left him something near the stream. Alright?”
Mingxia Jie threw him a few gold coins and the boy’s eyes lit up like fireworks. She then took found to rocks and hit them together to make a spark and put kindling before setting the field on fire. She then left her message near the stream and jumped on the horse before reaching the edge of the forest. She got off and took off the saddle and took the water,dagger, food rations, and anything else of value before leaving the saddle up on one tree and let the horse free. She looked back before softly smiling and disappearing into the woods.