Smile Through The Pain - Roman x Patton

"How do you make holy water?...You boil the hell out of it!" Patton grinned, giggling while the others groaned.

Roman watched Patton with amusement, his dad jokes never failing to make him smile. In fact, everything about Patton makes Roman smile, his childlike behaviour, his adorableness, how he treats Virgil likes he's his actual son. Everything about him creates butterflies that swarm and swirl inside Roman's stomach - his cheeks always arm with a red hue.

"Can you stop with your insufferable dad jokes?" Logan sighed, sounding like the dad joke actually wore him out. Although "dad jokes" seemed to be apart of who Patton was, he would much rather not have to endure hearing them every day.

"Aw, come on, Logan! Wanna hear a joke about a piece of paper?" Patton turned to the logical side, his wide grin still prominent.

"No, ple-" Logan tried, even reaching out his arm towards him but Patton got there first.

"Never mind... it's TEARable!" Roman snorted at that one, the mixture of the joke and Logan's annoyed expression setting him off. He covered his mouth and nose with his hand, watching his friends reactions with gleaming eyes.

Virgil was obviously trying to hide a smile while Thomas was sniggering into his hand.

Patton tapped Logan's shoulder, said man holding his head in his hands.

"Hey Logan?"

"What?" He groaned, peeking his eyes over the top of his hand.

"I was reading a book about anti-gravity" Patton bounced a little, smile widening when he realised he caught Logan's attention.

"Oh really? That's actually pretty intere-" Logan went to rant, completely oblivious to the trap he fell straight into.

"It was impossible to put down!"

Roman chuckled heartily, watching as Logan yelled that he had had enough and sunk down to his room. Thomas was laughing loudly because of this, Virgil silently laughed into his sleeve as he curled up on the corner of the couch.

Patton was grinning widely, he loved making people feel happy! And annoying Logan was always amusing.

Patton glanced at everyone, when his eyes landed on Roman he smiled sweetly, Roman felt his heart flutter at the sight.

"Your dad jokes are nearly as amazing as you are, Patton" Roman commented, shooting a smile towards his friend.

Patton blushed, "aw Roman! That's so sweet!"

Romans heart speed picked up as Patton hugged him tightly, his soft brown hair tickling Romans neck. Roman hugged back, knowing that he shouldn't but he couldn't help it.

He would tell Patton about his feelings but knew it wouldn't be a good idea...

"Aw, that's so cute! Anyway Joan is coming around soon so you guys should probably sink down" Thomas said, snapping Roman out of his thoughts.

"Okay! Bye kiddo" Patton waved and sunk down, Virgil mumbled a bye before he disappeared to his own room. Thomas turned to Roman and smiled sadly, "are you okay?"

"I'll be fine" Roman nodded, sinking to his room. His heart hurt as he curled up under the covers, knowing Patton would never return his feelings.

The next day all the sides were lounging around in Thomas's living room, with Thomas of course, randomly talking whenever needed. Roman had sat the furthest away from Patton, for he knew it would only pain him more.

"Why don't we all play a game?" Patton suggested.

"What game?" Logan replied, Roman narrowed his eyes at the logical side but looked away before Logan could realise.

"Uhm, truth or dare? Eye spy?"

Roman stopped listening the rest of what Patton was saying, all he could focus on was Patton himself and how sweet his voice sounded.

If only he could be mine, Roman thought with a frown.

Thomas noticed Romans sudden sad state, he knew why Roman has been so upset recently, he felt terrible. If only things could've been different, if only Roman could've fallen for someone else.

Roman abruptly stood up, "I need to go" he simply stated, vanishing to his own room.

"I'll talk to him" Thomas followed him, leaving Logan, Patton and Virgil to stare in curiosity. "I've noticed Roman has been acting differently lately" Logan pipped up.

"Different?" Virgil asked, "he still seems to be the self centred Disney fanatic we know"

Logan shrugged, he didn't know much about emotions and how people could change from how they are feeling so he left it at that.

"Ro? Prince?" Thomas called, looking around Romans room.

"What?" Roman sighed, resting his head in his hands.

Thomas sat next to him and wrapped an arm around him in comfort, Roman leaned into him and sighed dramatically. "Why me? I don't need these...romantic feelings! I'm a prince! I shouldn't be this...this weak"

"Roman, I'm so sorry, I wish I could help but..." Thomas trailed, Roman shook his hand dismissively, knowing if Thomas could help he would've done it sooner.

"I'll just have to get over him" Roman sighed.

"He's happy, you know that...you know what they say, if you love someone set them free"

"If they come back they're yours, if they don't they never were" Roman finished the quote. Thomas frowned and hugged Roman tighter.

"I understand what you mean, Thomas" Roman sat up and gave Thomas a smile, albeit weak and not his usual confident grin but still a smile.

"If he's happy, I should be to"

--

"What do you call a cow that just had a baby? deCALFeinated!" Patton giggled, his grin taking over his face. Thomas and Virgil chuckled while Logan groaned.

Roman just watched on, his heart clenching.

"Oh come on Logan!" Patton happily said, leaning over and pecking him on the lips. "You love it really"

"No, but I love you"

"I love you too!"

Thomas nervously glanced at Roman, surprising him Roman was smiling but he could see Romans eyes welling with tears.

Even if Roman could never have Patton, never cuddle him and never shower him in kisses, never tell him how much he loves him, Patton is happy, meaning Roman is to.

All he has to do is

smile through the pain.