Chapter 15

The entire lynch's house was silent when Ross walked in. Courtney trailing behind.

When he saw us his face fell a bit. 

"What's going on?" He asked. 

pure confusion written on his face.

This was all my fault. I should have just said that he went out.

"Ross you are going to quit football." His mother spoke up.

Even though i had caused this i felt out of place. I felt like this should be dealt with as a family, i felt like an intruder.

His eyes widened as his face paled.

Courtney awkwardly shifted in the background "I-i shouldn't be here. I should probably leave-" She began.

"No you're his girlfriend sit down." Madison said pulling her down on the couch.

"I can't believe you would go behind our back, Go against us on something that could potently kill you! and still do it." His mother cried.

His father seemed to be not saying anything in order to control his anger.

"Lauren, there's no argument here. Ross will just quit." His father said.

Ross eyes snapped to his father's in anger

"Quit? No. i will not quit. Do you know what it's like to be sick? It suffocates you. Mom, dad, there were times in my life when i felt like just giving up. I had accepted my fate and that i'd die a cancer patient." Ross said his parents shutting up.

" But when i found football that all changed. I gave me a reason to be excited to see another day. To have that support from a team  and have your school mates encourage you on, to have that adrenaline pumping through my veins. To forget for a moment that i'm a sick child and to just be free. Football's my escape, you can't take that away from me." He said.

He had his feet unto the other as he played with his fingers.

His speech wasn't one of shouting but one of a child that was passionate in something they love.

"Ross, I love that. I love that football helps you cope with what you have. But sweetie, it's a blessing and a curse it can also kill you." His mother said coming up to him.

"Do you know what could happen if you lungs give out on that field?" His father spoke.

Ross nodded "Dad, I'm well aware of the consequences of me playing football. but I've been playing secretly for two years  straight. Nothing's happened." He said.

I could see that he was gradually changing his parents mind.

His dad turned to Courtney "What do you think court?" 

She gulp "Uh, sir. Um, honestly...Ross says that he loves football...but um, i mean I'm totally with you guys on what you think." She said pointing to Mr and Mrs lynch.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING COURTNEY!

he's your boyfriend you're supposed to defend him no matter what.

Mr. Lynch stared at her for a while before he turned to  Madison, the only one of Ross' sister's present.

"What'd you think Mads." He asked his daughter.

She stood up "I love you mom and dad. I love You guys a lot. But i also love my baby brother. I feel like Ross has been stifled all his childhood, And i'm trilled that he found something that finally made him happy," Madison said.

I watched Courtney perk up, a small smile on her face.

"Football." Madison said

OHHH!! BURN COURTNEY

i stifled a laughter as I watched Courtney's face pale in embarrassment.

"I've been to a few games of his. And i'm sorry that i went behind your backs but i did. And believe me when i say this, He's a darn good player. His teammates look up to him as their captain and they respect him. They love him. And he loves the game. And i don't think you should take that away from him." She finished.

Ross smiled at him gratefully before looking at his parents is fingers in his mouth

I looked doe hiding my blush at how cute he looked worried.

I shifted uncomfortably before i released everyone was silent.

When i looked up they were looking at me.

"Laura?" Mrs.Lynch asked smiling at me.

"Oh um," I began turning to Ross. He looked at me with a small smile as if already knowing i was on his side.

I took a deep breath

"Ross loves football. It's his life. and i I believe that no one deserves something they love to be taken away from them. Yes, it's life threatening we all know that. And i'm sure Ross knew when he first even thought about trying out for it.  But, liek he said football is his escape. I know what it feels like to be stifled to hit rock bottom, it's not something anyone wants to go through. And the fact that ross found something that helps him, That's fricking beautiful. I've seen ross play. He's damn good at it. and excuse my language but that's the only how i can express this. He's damn good at it." i said pausing as i came to an end.

"And with all due respect Mr. and Mrs. Lynch, if you take that away from him. I'd probably have to say you're already killing your son before the cancer can. Because from what i've seen and i'm now putting together Football is like ross' life support. You take that away ...and what do you have left? I finished.

When i did, I blushed at how much passion i had put into my speech.

Ross was grinning at me and so was Mrs.Lynch, My mom and Maddie.

Courtney seem to be n regret.

Maddie gave a little applaud and i rolled my eyes.

When I turned to Ross, He smile and winked at me.

I felt butterflies in my tummy at his wink.

Gosh the crushing was real.

"Sweetie i think we should give this a chance." Mrs.Lynch spoke to her husband.

He watched his on and sighed

"When's your last game?" He spoke.

Ross perked up standing quickly, Next Friday." He said.

Mr.Lynch fiddled around, his wife came and hugged him and whispered something in his ear.

My mom smiled at me and whispered a 'I love you' Which i responded to quickly by saying it back.

"Okay son, You'll play your last game Next Friday, but after that, no more football." Mr. Lynch asked stretching forward his hand for a deal from ross.

Mrs. Lynch kissed her husband's cheek before sitting neck to my mom.

Ross stared for a few seconds pondering Before a squeal escaped his lips and he jumped on his dad

"Deal!" Ross squealed as he tackled his father to the ground.

Everyone laughed in relief and as ross kissed his dad all over his face "I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU DAD!"

A seventeen year old boy with Lung cancer jumping on his father, tackling his to the ground and kisses him while shouting 'I LOVE YOU!'

Now that's something you don't see everyday.