Chapter 38

"What happened?" I asked as soon as I spotted the Lynch's.

Mrs.Lynch was one to hold Me "I went to pick her up for dinner and I found her on the floor unconscious."

"Oh god. H-has the doctor said anything?" I asked worried.

"No, not yet, they'll be here shortly." She said to me.

I could see this had an affected her, almost as much as it affected me. She was her best friend. And they had just rekindled.

Ross probably knew I needed some space. He would come check me regularly and hand me a glass of water of something then he'd go back to seating next to his dad.

I know any other person would want their boyfriend next to them but Ross knew I needed my space. For years I've been accustomed dealing with things on my own and it was only now that I was gradually grooving into the idea of having someone to depend on.

I don't know how long it was till the doctor came out but from the moment he said Marano. We all jumped out of our seats.

"Is my mother going to be okay?" I was the first to speak up.

She gave me a sad smile. "She's asking for you. All of you. She wants to be the one to tell you."

A short gasp flew out my mouth. What did that mean?

We followed the Doctor to where they were holding my mother. And something about her screamed at me but I just couldn't tell.

She seemed smaller and her face was pale. Her hands barely holding mines when I took hers.

"Mom" I cried looking down at her.

"Oh laury. Ssh now child. No more crying." She said smiling at me.

"What's going on mom."I cried.

Mrs.Lynch stood on the other side of my moms bed. Ross besides me his hands rubbing my shoulders.

My mother stayed silent for a while before she finally spoke up. "I stopped taking my pills for a year now."

"What!" I said eyes wide as I stared at my mother. Uncontrollable sobs escaped my lips.

"I-i, I just couldn't anymore. The Chemo wasn't working and I was in So much pain. I couldn't take it anymore. I just. I just want to sleep. I'm so tired. I just want to stop fighting." Mom said her voice seemed to get weaker by the second.

"Honey we could have helped you. We could have found a way to." Mrs.Lynch said tears falling down her face.

My mother shuck her head. "Even if, I would be too late. Its on its last stage now. And now that my baby girl is finally happy. She's finally getting the life that she deserves I can finally sleep. No more pain...." She trailed off

My heart was breaking more and more by the second.

"Ross." My mother called.

Ross moved forward take my mothers hand. "You look beautiful Mrs. Marano." Ross said.

My mother cracked the first smiled since we'd walked in.

"You're an extraordinary young man. You make my daughter happy. She's the happy  she's been in a long time since she met you. But sadly she's stubborn and own way just like her old lady." Mom said making Ross chuckle.

"You two have a love that I've never seen before. Strong and powerful. Never let that die."

"She'll try to push you away. But don't you dare let her. She'll say she's fine but inside she's breaking. Be her rock. Her anchor. You love each  other beyond words could describe. I know because I see in your eyes. She'll need you Ross never let her go. Promise me."

A tear slipped out ross' eye. He nodded "I promise."

Mom smiled before turning to the others.

My heart broke as I cried into ross' chest.

This was it. My last few moments with my mother.

When mom finished she turned to me and smile.

Her voice was do weak that I had to test my head by hers.

I expected her to give me a speech like she did with the others instead she took my hand and rest it upon her heart before singing my childhood favorite.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray" I sang along with her till her voice gave out.

Her heart rate began decreasing as I held her in my arms. My voice gave out and I began weeping as Ross came to hold me he and his family sang on as my mother took her last breath on my arms.

You never know dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away

____________
Holy crap my eyes are watery!