22

"Hi, mom," I greeted, and I cringed, waiting for her to be mad about the fact that I hadn't been home in days and John was by my side, but she wasn't. She instead held her arms out to hug me, a wide smile on her face.
   "Blaine! You've been away too long!" She exclaimed, but she wasn't chastising me. She was too happy to.
   "I'm sorry, I've been busy," I said awkwardly, and I felt bad for somewhat abandoning her without an explanation.
   "It's okay, dear. You're here now," she said, and then she noticed John at my side.
   "Well hello, John," she said, and he ran a hand through his hair nervously.
   "Hi, Mrs. Harrison," he said, and she smiled warmly.
   "Oh, dear, call me Louise, please. I'm not that old," she said jokingly, and John forced an uneasy smile.
  "Well come in, come in!" She said, and I walked in. The house hadn't changed at all in the past few weeks, and mom was looking better. There were still cuts in her face, but they were fading.
   "Thanks. How have you been?" I asked politely, and she shut the door before turning to us.
   "I've been alright. Still ache a bit some nights, but I got off pretty lucky," she said, and I nodded, cringing at the memory of seeing her accident. I shook it out of my head and opened my eyes again.
   Just then, George came into the room, and ran over to me excitedly. He hugged me tightly, and I gasped at the tight hug.
   "Hey Georgie," I said, and he let me go, looking me over.
   "Hi Blaire," he said, and then he turned to John.
   "Hiya John," he said, and John smiled genuinely.
   "Hi George," John said back, and then shook hands. Then my attention turned to my dad, who was now standing in the doorway.
  "Hello," I said Cody, and he greeted me coldly back. We didn't hug, and he seemed to be scrutinizing me with those black, beady eyes.
  "Been a while," he said flatly, and I bit my cheek.
  "I guess it has," I said, as if I didn't even notice. He seemed a bit hurt, but the pain quickly left his face and his cold, hard exterior returned.
  "Let's eat, shall we?" My mom cut in, and my smile returned, but the tension remained.
   Everyone ate happily, as if we were an actual family again. Me and dad would stare at each other, locked in a battle of superiority.
   "Um, I think Blaire and I have an announcement," john announced awkwardly, and I cringed.
  I set down my fork, as did everyone else, and they all turned to me. I looked at John, and he grabbed my hand under the table, squeezing it reassuringly.
  "I'm pregnant," I announced finally, closing my eyes with anticipation.
  When no one spoke, I opened my eyes. Everyone was staring at me, eyes wide, mouths gaping. I felt like I wanted to cry, but I didn't.
   Suddenly George dove over the table and punched John. My eyes opened widely, and George fought John on the floor, but John didn't fight back. He just tried to block.
  "George, stop!" My father yelled, and George stopped. George stood over John, looking at my father questioningly.
  "Stop?! Stop?! He got Blaire pregnant! She's your daughter!" George exclaimed, and dad castes a glance at me as if I was garbage.
  "No, she's no daughter of mine," my father said quietly before taking his plate to the sink. John sat up, and mom had tears in her eyes.
  "Mom..." I said, pleading to her for help. Pleading for her to do anything.
  She just responded by following my father and putting her plate away before walking up the stairs after him.
   I opened my mouth to say something, by shut it when nothing came to mind. George looked at me with obvious anger, but there also seemed to be a touch of remorse behind his eyes.
  "Blaire, we'd better go," John said quietly, the sound of defeat evident in his voice. I just kept my mouth closed and nodded my head.
  "Blaire, wait..." George said as I stood up to go, and I turned towards him, looking up at him.
  "George, you'd better go before you get in trouble," I said, and turned away. There was nothing that George could do to save me. There wasn't anyone that could do anything to save me now.
  "What do you want?" I sobbed, my knees tucked into my arms. I kept my head down, but I could feel the shift in the atmosphere, and I already knew who it was.
  "To save you," I heard, and I looked up. Instead of being met with the glassy, cold eyes of the serpent, I was met with John's light brown, loving eyes.
  "You can't," I said, and I rested my head back down.
  "Don't say that," he said, and I stood up suddenly, shocking him a bit.
  "John, you can't. I - I'm drowning. It feels like I'm always right there at the surface, but I can't never make it. I can feel my hands reach out of the calm, desecrating ocean, but I can never quite get out in time," I said hopelessly, and it was true. I was always so close to my happy ending, before having it ripped away again.
   "Just breathe," he urged, and I balled my fists in frustration, my knuckles turning white from the pressure.
   "I can't! I mean, I always do. That's the worst part. Just when I'm about to breathe in the chilling, salty water, I wake up," I said miserably, shushing for nothing more than the nightmares to end.
  "Maybe it's best to live in a dream," he replied thoughtfully, and I looked up. He was in the garden with me, and it was marvelous. The flowers were vibrant, in full bloom.
  "Not when every time you close your eyes, you seem to be in hell," I replied, and I cursed myself for being so whiny.
  "Well maybe you have nightmares to make your waking hours seem like a dream?" He proposed, and I lifted my head, intrigued by this take on things.
   "Maybe..." I replied, and the melody started again. The beautiful one that was in the garden, and that John sang to me.
    Say nighty night and kiss me,
    Just hold me tight and tell me you'll miss me
   While I'm alone and blue as can be,
    Dream a little dream of me,
    Stars fading,
    But I linger on dear,
    Still craving your kiss,
    I'm longing to linger till dawn dear,
    Just saying this..."
   I closed my eyes and bathed in the evanescence of it all, letting the music flow through my ears and into my soul for what seemed like hours.
  I awoke suddenly and stretched. John was looking at me and smiling, and I raised my eyebrows at him.
  "What?" I asked, and he smiled lightly.
  "You just seemed so happy," he said, and I smiled too, rocking gently to the tune that stuck in my head as my only reminder of the beautiful dream.