48

They released me the next day, and when I went home, everything was in boxes.
   "I got to packing everything," John explained, and I nodded, running my fingers along the edges of the boxes, touching each one individualy.
   When I walked into the nursery, my mother was reading a book to the twins.
   "And they lived happily ever after..." She finished, and shut the book. She closed it gently and set it down next to her as I stood quietly in the doorway.
   "Hey! Mommy's missed you!" I said to them in a baby voice, and their faces lit up with delight. Mom looked over at me and smiled, pity and weak delight displayed on her face.
   "Blaire," she said, and I looked up at her from the hug that I was giving the twins.
   "Mom, thank you so much for watching them," I said, and she shook her head.
   "It was nothing. Did your fever go away?" She asked, and I nodded. John had told her that I was ill, and not that I had swallowed a bunch of pills.
   "Completely gone. Just had to let it run its course, I guess," I said, and she nodded.
   "You were never good at that," she recalled, and I laughed quietly, "you used to be so dramatic. You'd say things like 'Mom! I don't want to die! I'm too young!' You always were something, Blaire," she said, and we laughed together quietly.
   "Do you remember those shows I used to put on for the family?" I asked, and she rolled her eyes, laughing.
   "How could I not? My little star. And to think, George is the famous one!" She said, and we laughed harder now. My heart ached from all of the nostalgia.
   "The good ol' days," I said, and she shrugged, booping Phoenix's nose.
   "You'll make memories like those with your kids, Blaire. I can already tell that you're a great mother. They were so happy to see you," she commented, and there was a hint of sadness in her voice.
   "I don't know," I said sheepishly, and she stood, brushing off her skirt.
   "I know you'll do fine," she said, and kissed me on the cheek, "I must be going, but I'll let you in on a little secret. I didn't know what I was doing either, and you came to be a beautiful woman, Blaire. Don't ever doubt yourself," she said, and with that, she was gone. I played with the twins for a while, watching every smile.
  "John!" I called, and he came running.
  "Yes?" He asked worriedly, and I smiled and pointed at Julie.
   "She has two teeth!" I said, and John sighed in relief, accompanying us on the floor.
   "She does, does she? The little bugger!" He said, and tickled her. She laughed hysterically, and I smiled.
  "I'm so glad to be here for this," I said, and John looked at me seriously, letting her go.
  "I'm glad that you're here too," he said, and I smiled. He scooted closer to me, and held eye contact for a while. We both leaned in, and when we were about to kiss, I pulled away.
   "We can't," I said in defeat, and he groaned.
   "Why not?" He said, and I tickled Phoenix.
   "You deserve more than what I have to offer," I said, and he looked away.
   "Blaire..."
   "No, I can't make you wait for me to figure my life out. You deserve a wife, and a great one at that," I said, and he brushed my hair out of my face.
   "I will wait for you my love."
•••
Deep in the feels bc of this chapter yo