27

"Are you sure you don't want me to stay?" John asked, and I shook my head, buttoning his jacket.
"No, go. I'll be fine," I assured him for the hundredth time, and he sighed, finally agreeing.
"Okay. I'll call you every week, and the number for the club is in the drawer and-" he started, and I cut him off.
"I know, I know, call you anytime. Night or day. It's gonna be okay. I'm going to have Savanna here with me, and I'll be okay. It's only a month," I said, and he rolled his eyes, obviously not happy wth the arrangements.
"Well my cab is here," he announced, heading the honks from outside. I straitened his collar, and then stood on my tip toes to kiss him.
"Call me when you get there. I love you."
"I love you too," he said before walking out. I turned around and straitened my dress, brushing it off and looking around the empty flat.
Ten minutes later, a knock echoed through the house, and I jumped up to run to the door.
"Blaire!" Savanna called, and I hugged her, my face covered my her auburn curls.
"Savanna! It's been too long!" I shouted, barely containing myself. Savanna was my best friend in high school, but since we graduated, we hadn't found much time to talk, and the last time I'd seen her, she'd been in bed with my brother.
"I brought refreshments!" She yelled, and held up a bag containing various amounts of alcohol. I laughed and shook my head, grinning.
"I can't," I said, and her eyes went wide.
"You aren't! Oh, you are, aren't you?!" She said, and I nodded, causing her to squeal and embrace me again.
"Blaire! Is it John's?" She asked, and set down the bag on the counter, turning to me.
"He's a great guy, Savanna, and he really loves me," I said, and her mouth dropped.
"It's not...?" She asked, and I shook my head, feeling my heart drop to the pit of my stomach.
"It's Taylor's," I said, and she nodded, looking around at the small flat.
"Oh."
"But John is going to be the father," I said with certainty, and she nodded her head, her stunning features catching perfectly in the light. She always was prettier than me.
"But he knows that it's Taylor's?" She asked, and I nodded, sitting on the couch.
"Like I said, he loves me," I said, messing with my hands and the edge of my dress.
"Are you two getting married?" She asked, and I looked at her with judgement.
"Are you insane? Never." I said, and she sighed, seeing no point in arguing. She was always the girl that wanted a happy ending. She wanted the perfect love story, but that wasn't me.
"I just wish I could have been there when you told your parents..." she said with a knowing chuckle, and I rolled my eyes, recalling the sour memory.
"They went ballistic. My dad disowned me, and my mother followed," I said, and she looked at our shitty fire place, avoiding my gaze.
"And George?" She asked, and a lump formed in my throat.
"He hasn't talked to me since I told them," I said, and she sat down on the couch with me, taking my hands in hers.
"I'm sorry, love," she said, and I sighed, shrugging my shoulders.
"It is what it is, and it's not what it's not, you know?" And she nodded.
We spent the rest of the night talking, laughing about the old times and catching up. She was still the major party girl I knew her as, but she had matured.
"Can I tell you something I've been too scared to admit to myself?" I asked, our laughter from moments before subsiding.
"Anything," she said sloppily, sipping down her second glass of wine.
"I think John is growing tired of me," I said with a frown, and she stopped drinking.
"Don't say such a thing! He loves you, I'm sure of it," she assured me, and I shrugged, looking at my dress.
"What makes you so sure?" I asked, and she rolled her eyes, huffing.
"Can I tell you a secret?" She asked, and I nodded.
"John called me and told me everything about you. About how you get nauseous, although he didn't tell me you where pregnant, that minx! And he told me that you have nightmares sometimes," she said, and I gave her a sideways look, confusion evident in my face.
"He did?" I asked, and she nodded.
"He looked up my number in the book and called me. He's really sweet," she said, and I nodded.
"He is," I said.
"Are yours till mad at me?" She asked, and my attention snapped back to her.
"For?" I asked, and she pulled back her hair.
"Me and George, Y'know..." she said, trailing off, and I looked down again.
"Maybe it's time to go to sleep."
•••
"I've grown tired of holding this pose,
I feel more like a stranger each time I come home,
So I'm making a deal with the devils of fame,
Sayin let me walk away, please
-Bright Eyes"
•••
The quote has nothing to do with the story, but it's from one of my favorite songs.