34

I rubbed my eyes tiredly, and finally opened them. I was in an overwhelmingly white room, and for a moment, I thought I was going to be sick, but the feeling passed.
"Good morning, love," John's voice rang out, and I groaned in annoyance.
  "Don't call me that," I heard myself snap automatically, and then I recoiled as John's expression changed.
  "Oh," he said quietly, and I felt bad, but mostly sleepy.
  "I'm sorry," I said, but before he could say anything, the door opened and someone walked in.
  "Hey, Blaire," the familar voice called, and I could barely tilt head to look at him, but when I did, I couldn't stop smiling.
  "George?" I called, unsure of wether or not he was a figment of my imagination, and he looked at me and sighed. It was a sad sigh, and I knew that things were still not okay.
  "I'm so tired," I whined, and John kissed me on the forehead as I closed my eyes.
  "Rest," he comanded, but I was already fast asleep.
•••
  "Well she isn't exactly making things easy!" I heard George yell, but I didn't open my eyes. He sounded really upset, but I couldn't physically open my eyes, I was too tired from all of the pain meds.
  "Can you hush? You're going to wake her!" John shouted in a hushed whisper, and George lowered his voice.
  "Well you can't just expect me to forgive her, or you," George responded quietly, and his voice was cold and harsh, but in the sense that he truly meant what he had said.
  "You could try. She is your sister, and I don't expect you to forgive me, but give her a chance," he reasoned, and then things were quiet for a while.
  "Why didn't you tell us that you aren't the father?" George asked finally, and a looming feeling of awkwardness was almost tangible in the room.
  "How do you know?" John asked, sounding unsure of himself.
  "Taylor wanted to talk to Blaire, so he came to our house and told me everything," George said, and then I fell back into unconsciousness.
  It was like that all day, and I could barely remember a thing. I finally was able to stay awake long enough to have a real conversation.
  "John," I said, and looked over to him. He was holding something wrapped in a blanket, and it all came flooding back to me.
  "Do you want to hold him?" John asked, and I nodded slowly, everything feeling mysterious to me. He stood up quietly and slowly walked over to me. He lowered the baby into my arms, and a new feeling washed over me.
  "Isn't he beautiful?" John asked, and my eyes went wide, my chest heaving as I began to breathe harder. I looked down at the tiny face wrapped within the blanket, and felt pure disgust.
  He looked up, searching for me, and I frowned at him.

  "What's wrong, Blaire?" John asked, and I looked up to see him looking down a me. I didn't know what to say, and I knew that if he knew, he would never look at me the same again.

  "Nothing," I responded glumly.

  "You can tell me, as- as a friend," he said, and my chest began to hurt. That felt so final. I still really didn't know how to feel about him, but I decided that I had to tell someone.

  "I just don't feel like I thought that I would, I guess. That's all."

###

sorry that the feel of this chapter changes. and the spacing, I wrote half on my phone and half on my computer.