33

"Blaire! " Paul shook me, and I groaned. It took me a minute to remember where I was, and what had happened, but when I did, I groaned again.
  "What?" I asked, and then opened my eyes slightly, closing then again when the light blinded me.
  "John is at the door," he said, and I sat up, all hopes of going back to sleep leaving.
  "Tell him to go away" I pouted, but Paul just yanked the covers away from me, leaving me cold.
  "Just give him a chance, okay? I know it doesn't seem like it, but it's been a rough few months on him too," Paul said, and I rolled my eyes, wanting nothing more than to close them and go back about three years, but I couldn't.
  "Tell him I'll be down in ten," I finally said, and he nodded while I went to quickly get presentable.
   I walked downstairs, holding onto the handrail, nervous that all of the weight I was carrying would send me tumbling down. My hands were shaky, and I wished that I was could resist that feeling that he always seemed to give me, but I wasn't, I had never been.
  "Hi," he said nervously as I closed the front door quietly behind me, looking past him and into the front yard.
  "Hi," I said back, and neither of us really seemed to know where to begin.
   "I want you to know that I've stopped sleeping around," he said, and I nodded.
   "Okay," I said simply, and he frowned.
   "Okay?" He asked, and I turned to him, looking him in the eyes for the first time in a while.
  "What did you expect? What are we kidding ourselves here? Did you think that you could say sorry and that everything would be okay?" I asked, putting a ciggerette between my lips and lighting it.
  "I don't know what I expected. I just wish you'd try," he said, and I turned away from him, walking into the yard.
  "I've tried, and I forgive you, but this isn't just about me anymore. I'm going to have children, John. And what am I supposed to say when they ask where there Daddy is? Do I tell them that you're off breaking my heart?" I asked honestly, and he sighed, clenching his fists.
  "I wish you wouldn't be so dramatic," he said, and I turned to him, expressionlessly.
  "John," I said, my eyes going wide in shock.
  "I know, I should respect your feelings but-" he started, and my fists clenched in pain.
  "John!" I yelled, and he looked at me, flabbergasted.
  "What? What do you want to interject?!" He asked, and I started breathing heavily.
  "My water broke," I said, doubling over in pain.
  "Wait, are you serious?" He asked, in a state of shock, and I breathed deeply, clenching my teeth.
  "No, I'm practicing for standup!" I yelled, and he rushed to my side, helping me to sit on the doorstep.
  "Aren't you only eight months?" He questioned, and I groaned, another wave of pain washing over me.
  "John, go get Paul!" I shouted, and he nodded before running inside. I closed my eyes, and in a moment they were helping me into the car.
  "Just breathe," John coached from the backseat, and I became very short-tempered.
  "Shut up! Just hush, you cunt!" I yelled, and I suddenly felt the urge to push. I screamed loudly, and the car sped up.
  "PAUL! If you don't go faster, yout car is going to turn into a daycare," John warned, but I just shook my head.
  "Just pull over, there isn't time," I said, and Paul groaned.
  "But we're almost there," he pouted, and I sat up on my elbows.
  "If you don't pull the fuck over-!" I satrrer, but my threat was interrupted by my own screams.
  Paul finally pulled over, and I breathed deeply as he got in the backseat with us, near my head. John slipped off my underwear and threw them out of the window.
  "John!" Paul yelled, and I glared up at him.
  "Shut up! Everyone just shut up!" I snapped, and Paul's eyes went wide and John lifted my dress.
  "It's gross!" John yelled, and I rolled my eyes, grabbing Paul's hand and squeezing it. My vision was partially blocked by my hair matted to my forehead by sweat.
  "Ugh," I groaned, and layed my head in Paul's lap, "do you see the head?"
  "I think?" He said, and I pushed.
•••
  After a lot of pushing, and a lot of screaming, both babies were in the area of the boys, and an ambulance was on the way.
  When I awoke, I felt faint and confused. I vagely remembered what had happened, but it was overwhelming and I was tired.
  "Mrs. Harrison, you're awake. Good. I'll just ask you a question and then I'll let you get back to sleep. Do you have any names in mind for your girls?" Someone asked, and I shook my head, closing my eyes. The bright light was blinding me.
  "Okay, and the father?" The same voice asked, and the only name I could think of came to mind.
  "John," was all that I could say before falling asleep again.
•••
"Truth is, everybody's going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for- Bob Marley"