36

"Okay, you should be all set to go home," the nurse assured us, and I nodded, zoning out as John helped to dress me. I flinched at his touch, and he sighed. Things had been really tense between us since last night, and I just hoped that it would get better when we went home.

   As we walked in, I took a deep breath before placing the babies in their cribs. I sat down in the rocking chair in their room and just cried. I was so overwhelmed, and I was just so tired.

   "Blaire?" John called from down the hall, and I quickly wiped my eyes, praying he wouldn't notice as he came in. When he walked in, however, it was obvious that he knew.

  "Blaire, why don't you get some sleep, huh? You look exhausted," he commented, and brushed my bangs out of my face, and I swatted his hand away in annoyance.

   "I can't. According to that nurse, the twins should be up in less than an hour to breastfeed," I said, and John blushed. I then blushed too, and averted my eyes.

   "Oh, I'm sorry. I must've missed that," he apologized, and I looked into his eyes.

   "It's fine. So names; what have we got?" I asked and he shrugged.

   "I have no idea! I've been thinking about this for weeks!" He said loudly, and I laughed in a carefree manner, which felt nice.

   "Shhh, you're going to wake them," I said, but my laughing actually woke them.

   "I thought I was going to wake them?" John said, and I rolled my eyes.

   "Whatever, just grab him and change his diaper, and I'll feed her," I said, and he nodded. Much to my graciousness, she quickly latched.

   "That's amazing," John said, looking down at her feeding, and my cheeks turned crimson. He had his head nuzzled on my shoulder, and as looking down at her lovingly.

   "It really is," I said, and for once, I didn't feel completely disgusted by her.

   When she was done, she drifted to sleep and I began to feed the boy, but it just wasn't happening.

   "Why does he keep crying?" John asked over his wails, and I rocked him.

   "He's hungry," I shouted back.

   "Then feed him!" John shouted louder as the baby cried more.

   "I can't!" I shouted, and I finally got the bottle that was sitting on the nightstand and shoved it in his mouth. He immediately stopped crying.

   "What happened? She ate perfectly," He said, and I rocked him as he ate.

   "The supply ran out. My milk hasn't fully come in yet, I guess," I said, and he nodded.

   "Baby names; let's decide," I said, and we spent the entire night talking. We laughed and cried and remembered, and at the end of the night, he kissed me. I kissed him back, and things got heated quickly before he stopped it.

   "Come on, what's wrong?" I asked quietly, and he closed he eyes warily.

   "Do you love me?" He asked suddenly, and I gasped in surprise, hesitating.

   "I knew it," he said, and I shook my head.

   "No,no, I do," I assured him, but he just shook his head and walked out, leaving me alone in the nursery.