Page 14

Houston, Texas
October 4, 2013
Saturday Morning
Foot Locker
Rihanna Pov

Leaving Foot Locker I felt confident. Confident that I'm going to get this part time job working on the weekends. I'm not at the point where I can leave school and go into work. I'm just not at that stage yet. But hopefully when I get older–maybe senior year–I will be able to handle going to school and working.

I stick my hands into my warm pockets walking down the street of Milan Rd, feeling the chilly wind attack me. I came to a stop and turn around facing The Diner Miner contemplating if I should go in there.

To say hi? To just sit there with nothing else to do? Or pour my feelings out? Again.

My feet moves me, making my decision my brain couldn't decide. Pushing through the cold metal door, entering the warm and homey restaurant, seeing a few people eating breakfast, catching the stream not that far away from it.

Giving them small 'Hi's and Good Morning' walking down the aisle, getting warmer. I reach the counter ready to surprise Mrs. Charleston. She didn't even notice I came in with her gossiping about her rude neighbor kids that keep walking on her grass every time they walk to the bus stop.

I couldn't helped but laugh making myself noticeable as she quickly turn around opening her mouth to apologize but stop when she saw my dying of laughter at how quick she was to get back on her job.

"Oooh, you think that's funny, huh?" She smiled teasingly, grabbing the rag that she cleans the tables with. "No more milkshakes for you." I froze when she said that. Now it was her turn to have the last laugh.

"Awwe, come on Mrs. Charleston. You know I love the free chocolate milkshakes." I pouted.

"Awww, too bad." She giggled, wiping the counter and around the cash register while I kept my frown. "But I got something better than free milkshakes." She added, leaving the rag on the counter, going into the back.

My lips broke apart but my mouth had nothing to say. What do she means when she says she got something better than free milkshakes?

"Well, come on I don't got all day." I heard her say. I suspiciously walk around the counter as the workers continue their duties. I walk to the back, seconds later, walking pass the ice cream machine.

I reach the stairs where Mrs. Charleston was grinning, leaning on the door frame. Standing in front of the stairs, I turn my head noticing the upstairs door was open. I knitted my eyebrows together. It only open when somebody is up there. The only person I know who would be up there is...

Beyonce.

"Chile, what you waiting for? This is not a horror movie where you would have to be moving all slow." I laugh, she laugh. "Now gon' on up there. I'm getting a little chilly just standing here." She pat my back softly sliding by to go back to the front.

I stood there for at least ten minutes. Nervous.

Shaking off my guiltiness for leaving her last night, I headed up the stairs. I crept my way up the last four stairs so she won't hear me. I peek through the beads Mrs. Charleston let me keep up. Watching her struggle to stand by the railing, my first instinct was to hold her until she felt safe.

And that what I did.

"Rih?" She ask. More like hoped.

"Yeah?" I answered. She stayed quiet looking interested into the morning people down below. Putting her head back up, laying it against my shoulder.

"How come you left me when you said you wouldn't?" Pounds of guilt drop on my shoulders. "You promised me." More pounds. She turned around looking me in the eyes waiting for me to the truth. I know shouldn't feel guilty because of what she did to me but I do. A whole lot.