Chapter 5: Falling Hard

Houston Texas
March 23, 2014
Thursday
Windell High School
Beyonce Pov

"So how you and Kehlani?" I ask as Nicki and I turn into the math hall. Her cheeks flush in deep red, turning the other way. I already know what that mean. "Awww, Nicki Nic blushing." I coo'd teasingly.

"Aye, cut it." She warned seriously until we both broke out into laughter. "But nah, we good." She tuck her bottom lip under her front row teeth. "She is so fucking sexy–"

"Ight, I ain't tryna hear all that." I interrupted, already blocking the nasty images floating in my head. I heard her giggle childishly, lightly pushing my shoulder.

Everything was going good until I bumped into a figure when Nicki playfully push me.

"Oh I'm so–"

"Yo', watch where you going dyke, damn." I came to a realization that it wasn't just a regular person. It was nothing else but a homophobe.

"I'm sorry–"

"Sorry is not going to cut it. Maybe going to a new school will." They suggested bitterly.

"Aye, just leave her alone, Ight? Let all just go out separate ways and be cool." Nicki chimed in politely, looking around the now crowding hallway.

The warning bell ring as time stand still, waiting for something to happen.

"Alright, what are we standing around here for? Get to class." Ms. Rowland clapped her hands loudly, somewhat breaking the thick tension. "Now!" The kids that were standing guarding us scattered around, heading to their class. "Did you not hear me?" She ask in disrespect with a raise brow.

"Yeah, whatever." The girl brush her off apathetically, her mean chocolate orbs dagger into mines. "Just keep this queer away from me...then we won't have no problems." She replied with spite, so much...hate.

I actually felt myself breaking down on the inside. I wouldn't dare do that in front of her...in front of anybody.

Her shoulder bump into mines as the bell ringed throughout the hallway, breaking my stare against the lockers.

"Bey..." Nicki call out faintly, placing a gentle hand on my shoulder. "Bey...I–" Her words stop. There is no use, there is nothing we can do to stop this.

Air got caught in my throats making my inhale sharply, dropping my head down in disappointment. Sniffling, I finally face Nicki along with Ms. Rowland by her side.

"I–...I wish I could tell you it is okay, but...it is not Bey." Nicki stated honestly, placing her hands on my cheek. "I know it is hard, I know it is but we can get through this."

"I don't know, Nicki." My voice strained in agony, violently shaking my head.

"Bey, look at me." I look up at the ceiling, disobeying her. "Bey, please." She pleaded as if she was going to cry. My eyes meeting her pretty brown obs, my vision begin to become blurry. "You got this."

"I...I don't know what I did wrong." I finally broke, feeling a ping of pain storming in my chest. "Why did I do?!" I wailed out, my hand going straight to my chest, my heart literally feels like it is going to burst into flames.

"I'm so sorry." Nicki apologized, pulling me into her loving embrace. "I'm truly am, Bey Bey." I shook furiously into her neck, salty tears running down to her chest.

I hugged her tightly like she was going to vanish any second. My feet lightly stomp the ground out of anger as my wails got deeper.

"I will tell your teachers that you guys will not be attending your last class today." Ms. Rowland voice appear, shaky.

"I'm right here, Bey. I'm right here." Her hand flow through my dark brown curls, attempting to calm me down by rubbing circles on my back.

My chest heave up and down with a broken heart, my throat thump with pain, straining my once confident words.

"This hurts so bad, Nicki." My words smuggle against her neck as I sniffle, trying not to break down again.

"I know..." She spoke so gentle, I don't even think I heard her correctly but I did. "And it is going to get harder. Sometimes it will be easy but...it gets hard."

"I...I want to die."

"No, no, you don't now want to die." I immediately pull back from her embrace, suddenly feeling hurt again. I feel cold.

"You don't know that." I strained out, sluggishly pointing at her, shaking my head. "You don't know that..." My back hit the lockers, and I begin to slide down. "I can't do this anymore!" I protest out in the air. "This is the fifth time...fifth time this week." I stated breathless.

I suddenly felt a hand under my chin, catching my attention.

"Bey...if you die...then I will die." She spoke with ease.

"What?" I ask unsure with knitted brows, chattered by her words.

"You heard me. If you die, then I die."

"I...I don't want to be responsible for...I.."

"Exactly. So you can shut up with all that dying shit, I'm right here with you. Always and forever, Bey Bey. I got your back and you got mines."

"Thank you." My eyes begin to burn again.

"For what?"

"For being such a great friend." I swipe my hands under my nose as she chuckled hysterically.

"I'm just doing what a best friend suppose to do." She shrug lazily.

"No, no." I shook my head. "You don't get your credit Nicki. You was there for me when I needed you the most, you was there when people was bullying me, you even put up with my mother–who was so fucking rude and vicious to you. I wasn't even there when you needed me the most, and for that I'm so sorry."

Her eyes grew into a blurry mess, harshly biting her lip to keep from bursting into tears.

"Nicki, you deserve the world for what you do. You're hurting too, yet you are here for me, and for anybody that needs help. So yes, thank you...for everything."

"...thank you." She whispered as I pulled her into my embrace.

"You're so welcome."
__________________________