Because

2 or 3 bags rest in my hand as I mentally prep myself to enter my house, the big ol' Lockwood mansion. Walking up the stairs slowly, I avoid looking at the fountain at all costs, shivers running up my spine. Reaching the door, I debate whether or not I should knock. Why would I knock to enter my own house?

Shaking my head incredulously, I push the door open, scents of my childhood filling my nose. Every thing's the same as it was before I left, a few lights on- meaning Tyler's still living here. Well, that confrontation can wait till later. Dropping my bags next to the couch, I hurry back to my car. The sooner I get to the boarding house, the sooner I get Caroline's humanity back on, the sooner I get out of this God forbidden town...

_________________________________________________________

" Convince her that my humanity is still off. I'll tell her that my run-in with our mother had no effect on me, and I want to keep the party going."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa." I call out, the ancient exterior of the house comforting, "Explain!"

With a bitter smirk, Damon explains the situation to me, taking me into his arms for a bear hug. Why, no matter where I go, is the world in pieces?

Tiredly, I fall down onto the couch next to Stefan, reaching for Damon's bourbon.

"Torture her until she breaks," Stefan says with a sigh.

"Can I just ask, why did she turn her humanity off?" The room falls silent, Stefan, Damon and Elena all staring at me with lost looks, up until the moment that Elena mutters the words quietly.

"Liz died."

I fall further into the couch, running my hand over my face as tears begin to bud in my eyes. Why has everyone lost their Mothers or has an awful living one? Matt, Bonnie, Elena- Caroline.

"Oh," I mutter in reply, seeming to space out.

"So," Elena begins, changing the morbid subject," do I need to remind you two that the last time Caroline thought that we were trying to flip her switch, she went on a killing spree?"

It makes me wonder if Caroline's better with her humanity off or not. The guilt she'll feel when she's back will crush her, as if her heart's being ripped from her chest.

"Well, she's not gonna find out this time." Stefan says with determination, pulling his phone out of his pocket. Watching him expressionlessly, I down the rest of my drink.

_______________________________________________________

When did Damon and Elena become official? Finally the doppelganger's made up her mind- tuck her time.

" See? He'll be convincing." Damon says, pouring drinks all around... Only two of us make grabs to drink them.

"Fine, say she believes you-- How do you know she's gonna even want to see you again?" Elena asks, frowning at Damon and I. Furtively, I steel a glance at Stefan's glass. Well, if he's not going to have it, I'm not going to let a perfectly good drink go to waste...

"Oh, she'll want to see him," Damon says with a smirk, grinning as Stefan reddens with embarrassment. Stefan hit the jackpot! Of course, naive Elena doesn't quite catch on.

Desperate to divert the subject from himself, Stefan turns towards me with a quizzical look.

"So, how's life in New Orleans?"

I sigh, grabbing a curl of hair to twirl around my finger, the other hand gripping my fancy glass.

"Oh- you know, the norm. Esther's back, Rebekah's in some random bitch's body, another Mikaelson sibling, long lost auntie out to steal my daughter."

A few gasps fill my ears, causing me to drag my gaze back to reality.

"You have a daughter?" Elena asks, her mouth hanging open.

"How does Klaus feel about that?" Damon asks, his eyes blazing with amusement. I roll my eyes in response, stupid Salvatore doesn't know about nature's loophole.

"Werewolves can procreate- not vampires." Damon takes a moment to mull it over in his mind before his eyes also widen.

"What's her name?" Elena asks with a smile.

"Hope."

_________________________________________________________________________

Standing outside of a recently locked room, where our vampire experiment is in process, I stare at a pale woman, who stares at Alaric with admiration, dark hair escaping her pony tail.

As I etch ever closer to them, Alaric's eyes widen upon noticing me, his smile grows wider.

"Jo, this is Evie, Evie this is Jo." I nod, smiling warmly at the woman who smiles back at me.

With another smile, Ric pulls a fancy envelope out of his pocket, handing it to me. "Damon told me you were back in town." With a nod, I stare down at the envelope, my eyes widening. A wedding invitation. "You're engaged?" I ask, watching as Jo and Alaric share a loving glance. Finally- some good news for the town of Mystic Falls.

With a giddy smile on her face, Elena appears at the end of the corridor. "Good news! Your shift's over. I'm here to relieve you." Alaric and Jo smile gratefully. Wait- weird smell.... Is Elena Gilbert- the Elena Gilbert a vampire? Well dam.

Plot twister!

"Ahem. Uh, supplies are right here. Uh, cards are right there just in case you get bored." Ric tells the two of us, standing to follow his retreating fiance.

"Ric." I call as he turns to walk away. He turns back to me with a quizzical eyebrow raised. " It's really nice to see you happy." He winks, leaving Elena and I with a set of cards.

"You wanna play go fish?"

"You're on"

_______________________________________________________________

"Hello, this is the hybrid hotline- state your emergency." a small chuckle reverberates down the phone line.

"Yes- I'm looking for a sassy little wolf." I chew my bottom lip, resisting a grin ," I want my money back." He tells me, "I have no socks left and all of my alcohol is missing."

I shrug my shoulders, even though he can't see it. "Sorry, no refunds."

Klaus sighs, and I can just feel his smile. "How's it going?"

"Caroline's still an emotionless bitch." He sighs, bringing our conversation to a swift end.

"Hurry back, I love you." I smile, a sliding my cell into my pocket, staring at a shocked Elena.

"What?" I ask her, furrowing my eyebrows with confusion. She points towards the door, horrified.

"Caroline burnt her Mum's letter." My mouth falls open.

__________________________________________________________________

Sitting on the bed in Caroline's 'cell', I stare at her, watching as she shuffles around restlessly.

"I know how you feel." I begin, to which she raises an eyebrow,

"I don't feel anything." I shake my head at her, slowly sliding my body on to the floor, looking directly into her eyes like some Mother hen.

"I lost my Mum too." She bites her lip waiting for me to go on. "My husband killed her."

We sit in silence for a moment, staring anywhere but at each other," How do you go on?" She asks. I sigh. If Damon, Stefan and Elena know, Caroline might as well too.

"Because their are people that need me... Like my daughter."Her eyes widen, but she makes no move to fight me. "You're a Mum." I nod.

"You have people that need you too Care, think about that..."