RichJake: Burn Scars and Regrets

T/W: Self-Harm scars. I have a headcannon that Rich is actually really insecure about his scars and hates himself for the fire and for Jake's injuries 

Rich opened his eyes slowly, adjusting to the faint light pouring into his room. The first thing he saw was Jake, who had him wrapped up in his arms. Rich smiled faintly and carefully wiggled out of the taller boy's grasp, making him whimper at the loss of the warm mass of his boyfriend. "Nuh.... Kitten come backkkkk..." He slumped into drowsiness once more. 

When Rich walked back in, he found him sitting up, gazing out at the sunrise. He patted his lap, and Rich crawled in happily, curling up. 

Jake leaned down slightly to play with the smaller boy's hair. They sat in silence, enjoying each other's presence. 

Rich broke the silence first. "Jakey?" "Hmm?" Jake hummed back in response, continuing to gently twist and run his fingers through Rich's hair. 

"D-Do you think the fire was my fault?" Rich blurted out, unable to keep the question inside any longer. "No, no love.... it was the Squip, not you.." "Even after you broke both your legs trying to save... me?" "And I don't regret it. Because now I have a beautiful boyfriend who I love more than anything." "B-But Jake... I'm really nothing special... I mean wow look at me... at my ugly scars... you know, it's really hard to keep up this whole 'tough popular guy' thing when you're like me...a pathetic excuse for a human being..." He looked up sadly into Jake's eyes, only to see tears welling in those beautiful hazel brown orbs. 

"R-Rich... I didn't know you felt this way...." He responded, voice cracking with emotion. "I-" "Shhh... love.... just hush.... you need to hear me... I love you. Everything about you is so wonderful... everything about you makes me wanna kiss you.... Everything.... you are the most beautiful boy ever to walk the earth, you need to know that..." Now tears were falling from both sides as they cuddled closer to each other.

 "You won't love me after you see what I've done to myself..." Rich mumbled, Jake lifting his face immediately. "Rich. What did you do? I won't get mad, I'm just worried..." "You'll hate me..." "Richard  Mike Gronkoski, I promise I will always love you. Please show me." 

Very slowly, Rich showed him his wrists. Burn scars. They weren't from the fire.

"Oh, no, love..." Jake pulled Rich into his chest, rocking him back and forth as he cried.

"How long have you been doing this?" "A month or so.... I just- I used the lighter and h-held it close to my skin and that's all it took..." Jake traced the shorter boy's jawline, his hand circling around to his chin, where he gently pulled Rich's chin up. "Kitten, look at me." Rich looked into his trusting eyes, and saw sadness, fear, but overwhelming love too in his eyes. Words weren't needed any longer, nor were they wanted. They just held each other and cried. 

Eventually, Jake mumbled into Rich's ear, "Promise me you'll never do that again..." 

"I promise."