Story 40- Just Ask! (Part 1)

Kleinsen

Jared gulped as he went inside the little shop across the street, his hands sweating bullets as he stuck them out of his pockets and opened the door. As he did, the bell connected to it rang and an employee approached the counter.

"Good afternoon, my name is Alana, how may I help you?" The woman smiled, leaning against the glass counter as Jared made his way to her.

"Hi, I'm looking for rings?" Jared asked.

"What kind, hon?"

"W-Wedding rings."

Alana gave him another cheerful smile as she went to a display and took out some golden keys, and picked one to open it. She took out a tray of rings and set them on the counter for Jared to get a better view.

"Which one's the one for his special lady?" Alana asked.

"More like... special man." Jared corrected, getting scared, afraid for the woman to go off on him.

Instead, she giggled and closed the display. "Sorry, special man. Which one would he like the most?"

Jared looked at each one- with diamonds, sapphires, rubies, emeralds, all types. He pondered about, and with some help of Alana, decided on a silver ring with a little sapphire at the top.

"I'll give it to you half-off. Just a little treat." The woman said, and Jared thanked her repeatedly.

She gave him the black box and carefully inserted the ring, and handed it to Jared and wishing him good luck and a good day.

*** *** *** ***

Getting the ring was the easy part.
Proposing was the hard part.

Jared had to think of the perfect place, perfect time, and had to make sure if those two were already done, that everything would go as planned and nothing could go wrong.

"You should just.. go for it. You know Evan doesn't like to exaggerate things, and this could be an example of one you shouldn't." Connor advised him.

"Yeah, just make him a nice meal and then ask him. For once in his life, Connor's right." Zoe said, and Connor nudged her harshly.

"I don't know, guys. I mean, I wanna propose to him in a way he never forgets it." Jared sighed.

"You want it in a way he'll remember it? Then end it in a way that Evan is sure to remember- drag him to your room and suc-"

"YOU KNOW WHAT I THINK YOU SHOULD JUST BE SIMPLE AND SINCERE, THANKS FOR TRUSTING US!" Zoe exclaimed, covering Connor's mouth and pinning him against the bed as he struggled to get up and finish his sentence.

*** *** *** ***

Jared, in the end, took their advice- he asked Evan if they could just eat and watch a movie. Evan, being the absolute Evan that he is, accepted it. Jared drove them to get some chinese and then they watched movies at home. He had an arm around his boyfriend as he was snuggled up against his chest, invested in the movie.

"Evan.. there's something I need to get off my chest." Jared said, and sat up straight, as well as Evan.

"Okay, sure."

Jared felt the box in his sweater pocket, but couldn't seem to find the words to tell to his lover.

"I... I-I want you to know, that-no wait, i-it's just, I... I know this- this is sudden, but... and if you r-really don't want to, them t-that's okay... I guess- I mean, your choice, I-I just-"

Evan put his arm over Jared's shoulder and looked into his eyes. "You can tell me anything. What's wrong?"

"I-I.. I wanted to ask you.. I... uhhh.."

There was only one possible way to get out of this mess.

"Good night America!" Jared exclaimed, falling off the couch.

*** *** *** ***

After Evan made sure Jared was okay (and not dead), he set him on the couch carefully and left the house probably to go get something for Jared. Jared, once Evan closed the door, opened his eyes and quickly made sure the ring was okay, which it was still in perfect condition. He then got his phone.

Blind_M8: Hey
c0nn0rmurphy: lemme guess, you fucked up
Blind_M8: had to pretend to pass out to get him to leave
c0nn0rmurphy: all you had to do was PROPOSE
Blind_M8: DO YOU KNOW HARD IT IS TO KEEP A STRAIGHT FACE
Blind_M8: WHEN YOU ARENT EVEN STRAIGHT
c0nn0rmurphy: youve sunk too low

*** *** *** ***

"I don't know what's wrong, Connor! I know he's conscious, but what made him just pretend to do that?" Evan sighed, leaning his head against Connor.

"Maybe he's... scared about something." Connor hinted.

Evan didn't seem to get it, so Connor just pulled Evan up and made the boy follow him all the way to his apartment. When he opened the door, Jared was still passed out on the couch.

"You can drop the act Kleinman." Connor said sternly.

Jared immediately turned to face Connor, but froze when he saw Evan.

"I'll leave you to it." Connor said, getting out of the room and closed the front door.