3

Ashton’s POV

“Ashton?”

“In the flesh.” I said with a shrug, my hands still in my pockets. Luke looked at his feet then back up to me with his expression still confused.

“What are you here for?” he asked like he had no idea. He had invited me over earlier the little shit and here I am. Granted I did tell him no and was rude but hey whatever.

“Are you gonna let me in mate or are we gonna draw plant cells outside?” I asked and gestured to the front porch. He stepped aside allowing me to walk in and he shut the door behind me. His house was huge. Most of the living room was beige and the walls were covered in family pictures. I don’t even think my mum took pictures of me when I was a baby. Too late now I guess. The kitchen was nothing but stainless steel and marble and I felt so out of place in this house. Of course Michael’s house was nice but it felt homey not like a museum like Luke’s.

The younger lad led us up the stairs to a large bedroom. It looked like a typical teenager’s room with band posters everywhere and an unmade bed. Despite the messy bed Luke’s room looked insanely organized and neat. Oh nice he's one of those OCD people.

“You can sit at the desk or on the bed and just throw your bag anywhere. I’m gonna go to our home office and find some supplies.” He stammered then took off out his bedroom. I walked over to a dresser that had cologne bottles, bracelets and a large picture frame with a necklace hanging on it. The necklace was a guitar pick with an ‘L’ in the center and the picture was of Luke and who I assumed was his dad.

Luke looked so happy in the picture. He was smiling deeply with squinted eyes. The man with him had his arm draped over Luke’s shoulder, smiling as big as Luke. I wondered if Luke ever smiled like that anymore, he really should it was a beautiful sight to see. The posters on his wall were similar to mine; actually one of his Green Day posters was exactly the same. I smiled a little at the memory of that concert a couple years ago. Karen bought Michael and me tickets and we stole that poster from the merchandise stand. I giggled softly thinking about how panicked Michael was at first.

“Okay I found everything we need except a poster board but my mom can get us one.” Luke said and threw art supplies and construction paper down on his bed. He sighed at the pile of art shit then his eyes looked back up to me. His hand ran through his hair nervously and he bit his lip. Damn him and his lip biting. He looked away fast and walked over to his desk.

“Did you go to that Green Day concert?” I asked hoping to keep steady conversation but Luke just tensed up and refused to look back at me.

“Yeah, I did. Okay plants or animal cells first?” his voice rasped nervously obviously avoiding the subject. No need for him to freak I was just asking.

“I don’t care; I’ve already failed biology once my opinion isn’t the best.” I shrugged and sat down on his bed. Luke glanced at me and turned to open his biology textbook.

“Well let’s get started on plant cells first.” Luke said and set the book down in front of me and crawling next to me on his bed. Our knees brushed and Luke pulled his away nervously. I smiled at how nervous he was. Obviously he never had many friends over.

After about an hour of me writing down functions and Luke rambling on in scientific words I didn’t understand I was so close to screaming. No wonder I always got shitty grades because good grades required effort and I was too damn lazy for that. Well except English because for some reason I was good at that subject. I sighed loudly and threw the pencil I was using down onto the piles of papers. Luke looked over to me and sat down the book in front of his crossed legs.