20

Ashton's POV

A couple of hours later I was pushing through the doors of West High in search of my boyfriend. He had to ride with his brother to school since I'm technically not allowed to see him anymore outside of this hell hole. I pushed through the hallway that was crowded with slow underclassmen until I saw a head of familiar blonde hair. My heart instantly started to race and I nearly ran down the hallway to Luke. He grabbed his book and shut his locker just as I arrived to him.

"Morning." I said cheerfully. Luke looked exhausted still but he managed to crack a bit of a smile.

"Morning, what are you doing here?" He gripped the strap of his backpack tighter.

"Can't I walk my boyfriend to class?" I asked and he smiled a little wider.

"Well yes I guess you can." He said and I reached for his hand. Luke was cautious at first but I laced our fingers together as we walked down the hallway. We got a few glances and stares but I just brushed them off. Luke on the other hand was walking with his head down to escape everyone's questioning glances.

"Don't be scared Luke." I said and we reached his classroom. I leaned in to place a soft kiss on his cheek then I told him I'd see him next period.

I stood at the doorway until he disappeared into the classroom. A few people continued to give me looks as I walked to English but I couldn't give a shit right now. I spotted Michael's hair first thing and hurried to my seat before the bell rang. Our teacher gave us a few things to copy on the board while he passed out papers and Michael took this as his cue to talk.

"So I was thinking we should have another band practice on Friday night what do you think?" Mikey asked and I nodded.

"Yeah man I think that'd be sick." I agreed.

Our teacher shushed us and I laughed when Michael flipped him off. Our teacher started a lecture over some literature but I was too damn preoccupied by a blue eyed boy named Luke Hemmings.

...

Luke's POV

I'm so exhausted I could hardly pay attention in my classes. Even though I slept last night I was still so emotionally drained. All my focus seemed to be on Ashton and how much he's been so stable for me lately. I was so thankful for him but at the same time he was at the root of my problem. I hated to think like that but unfortunately it's true. The morning sped by and I was so thankful but now it was time for lunch. I grabbed my usual Sprite and package of chips and followed Calum to our new table. Michael and Ashton greeted us enthusiastically but I was hardly in the mood.

"So guys, Ash and I think we need another band jam session on Friday. What do you say?" Michael asked and I felt a little better at the thought of it. Calum smiled happily so we all knew he was on board but then he switched into deep thought.

"I have a game on Friday." He pouted.

"Well what about Saturday?" Ashton asked and we all turned to Calum.

"Saturday works." He said with a mouthful of food.

"We should all go watch Cal play." I suggested and the other three boys nodded.

"Sounds like fun." Ashton leaned in closer to me and I tapped his shoulder.

"It's 2 hours away though." Cal pouted again.

"Well then we will have to make a little road trip." Michael shrugged.

"My mom is never going to let me go." I groaned.

"I'll come over when you ask Lukey and maybe she will cave." Calum said and I nodded.

"Hell yeah!" Ashton said and took a swig of his drink.

"We could all crash at my place on Friday night when we get back." Calum added in. With all these plans and new friends I was feeling a little better about this day.

"Sounds like a plan." I said and took a drink of my soda.

...

The rest of the day went as fast as the first half and I couldn't wait to get home. Whenever it was convenient for him, Ashton walked my to class. With our hands intertwined it was pretty obvious we were dating, but I was still nervous how people would react. Even with my nerves, Ashton made me feel safe somehow.

The final bell rang about 5 minutes ago but I was taking my time at my locker. It always amazed me how much the hallways cleared out after school. I guess everyone is in a huge hurry to leave. Ashton didn't have to work until 4 o'clock so he could be patient. Jack had football and my mom wouldn't be home when I got there so what's the harm in Ashton taking me home.

I sighed and shut my locker but as soon as the door shut I was shoved into it. My back hit the cold metal and I whimpered in pain. When my eyes fluttered open I recognized who had pushed me into the locker, my brother's friend Derick. His large hand fisted my shirt and slammed me into the locker again, knocking the air out of me.

My eyes screwed shut as a pain radiated throughout my body but I couldn't cry. His fist hit my ribs and I let out a muffled cry. Why was he doing to this.

"Go ahead and cry faggot." He spat and I understood now. Ashton warned me that something like this would happen and here I am alone in the hallway. I couldn't make any noise and my breathing was out of control. Derick's grip on my shirt tightened and his hand pulled back to hit me again but he was stopped.

"Get away from him!" Michael's voice snapped.

"Or what?" Derick bit back, releasing me. I slumped to the floor and clutched my stomach in pain.

"Do you really want to find out again Derick? Didn't I kick your ass once already?" Michael snarled and stepped closer to my attacker.

"Whatever man." Derick surrendered. He gave me an evil glare then turned to leave the school. Michael sighed and slid down the locker to sit next to me.

"You okay?" He asked with his hand on my shoulder. I was still trying to catch my breath so I nodded.

"I-I gotta go. Ashton is waiting for me." I breathed out finally. Michael stood up to help me off the floor and I straightened out my shirt.

"I'm sorry that asshole did that to you. Ashton is going to flip when he finds out." Michael said as we walked towards the door. I stopped in my tracks and turned to look at Michael, Ashton can't know about this.

"Please don't tell him." I begged and Michael looked shocked.

"But Luke-"

"No Michael please don't tell him. I don't want him to worry about me okay? Just don't tell him." I rambled on and my voice was shaking.

"Okay I won't tell him but if he finds out then I can't promise things will be okay for Derick." He cracked a small smile and we made our way out of the door.

We walked across the courtyard to the parking lot where Ashton was leaning against the front of his truck. I smiled at Michael as we parted ways and I climbed into Ashton's car. The ride was mostly silent but I was a little too shaken up to say much. I hoped that Ashton would never have to find out and it would never happen to me again.

I'm really bad at keeping secrets.

>>>>

Wow already at chapter 20! Thank you so much for all the support of this story.

Still such a long ways to go... Sorry it's a little short

I'm gonna slow down on the updates to make longer more fulfilling chapters lol

Still one a day but doubles are going to be on occasion now.

I'm starting up a Malum story that the prologue will hopefully be up tomorrow so I'll be there too.

I'm rambling sorry..

Until I update again :)