18

I knew I'd probably be in huge trouble for ditching school but after spending the whole day with Ashton I didn't care. He completely took my mind of feeling anxious even after our fight. In hindsight I was probably overreacting in the first place. We went to Taco Bell, the mall and even an awesome record store downtown that Ashton had to show me. It felt good to just chill out and not have to worry about being a diligent student. Ashton always had funny stories to tell about things he's done or all the trouble he's gotten into and I cringed at the fact that I'm barely able to ditch school. Yeah some of the things Ashton has done are crimes but to me being reckless is how teenagers should be or at least try to be.

"So how was your day free from school?" Ashton asked as we drove home. He told me he had to be to work and offered to drive me home.

"Amazing and not just because I got Taco Bell." I joked.

"Taco Bell is the best." Ashton said back. Our laughter faded out slowly into silence.

"I don't want to go home." I groaned and rested my head against the window.

"Come to work with me then." Ashton offered casually.

"I can't just go to work with you." I said and glanced over at a smiling Ashton.

"Sure you can. Mondays are painfully slow and my bosses won't care if you come with me." He explained, already turning the car around towards downtown.

"But-" I started but had nothing to argue with.

"No buts Hemmings, you are coming to work with me." He winked and we sped down the road. I rolled my eyes and reached to turn up a familiar song on the radio. My moms ass chewing would just have to wait.

Like Ashton said, work was painfully slow but he some how managed to make it entertaining. He gave me a tour of the store, showed me his favorite movies and other random tasks he was paid to do. We sat behind the counter where the cash register was just talking about music and movies. I admitted that my favorite movie was Mean Girls to which Ashton laughed and teased me for.

I had barely noticed that the sun had escaped the sky and it was dark now. As late fall approached and the sun went down earlier it was honestly hard to keep track of time. Ashton started to pick up things and shut down televisions and radios while I stayed put behind the counter. He went to the back room and came back out without his work vest, ready to head home. I really didn't want to go home but I knew I had to face the wrath one way or another.

"Your mom really hates me doesn't she?" Ashton asked as we drove down the dark streets.

"She doesn't hate you, she just doesn't think-"

"I'm good enough for you." Ashton finished my sentence and I turned to face him.

"She'll come around but if she doesn't then I'll just have to keep breaking rules." I said and wiggled my eyebrows to make Ashton laugh.

"I'm sorry I keep getting you into to trouble." He apologized.

"Ashton I'm the one who makes these choices." I said.

"I know but I suggest them." He pressed and I was growing irritable.

"Who cares? We are just having fun." I said flatly.

"Little party never killed nobody." Ashton sang playfully and I shook my head in a laugh.

I finally had to part ways with Ashton which we did with a kiss and I made my way to face my mother. I opened the front door and walked into the kitchen where she was putting food in the fridge. It was obviously way passed dinner time and she hated when one of missed dinner. I got a glass and filled it with water, chugging it down. She didn't speak nor look at me until I turned to leave the kitchen.