11

"How do you think you did on that biology test today?" Ashton asked as we backed out of his parking spot. It was Wednesday which meant Ashton was coming over for tutoring. After he spent the night last night and we had a good day at school together, we decided to just go to my house together.

"It was pretty easy." I shrugged and Ashton laughed a little.

"It was not easy!" He protested and looked over at me with disbelief.

"Yes it was! We had all the answers on our notes! You should learn to take them sometime." I said and laughed at how disgruntled Ashton's face looked.

"That is why you are the tutor babe." He said and I felt my face heat at his choice of words. I reached over to turn up the radio as we raced down the road to my house.

Ashton parked at his house and we walked the sidewalk to my house. I pushed open the door and led Ashton to the dining room table where we usually set things up. I went to the kitchen and grabbed snacks while Ashton laid out all his materials. I grabbed us both a glass of water then a bowl of grapes from the counter.

"You should start sitting with me and Mikey at lunch." Ashton said and I looked at him confused.

"I usually sit with Calum or go study in the library." I said.

"Well Michael and I sit alone and on occasion his douche bag friends sit with us but not often. Calum could sit with us too!" He said and looked back up from his work.

"I'll think about it." I smiled at Ashton and we got to work. His understanding was getting a lot better and I could tell he was improving. Honestly I think Ashton was lazy when it came to school work. That or he was just afraid to be labelled as someone who was smart.

We worked for another hour at least but we managed to work in some casual conversation. We joked about things, talked about music and for the first time in forever I laughed. It felt good to laugh and actually mean it. So far I found out that Ashton lives with Michael, loves bananas and his favorite band is obviously Green Day.

"Wait so why do you live with Michael?" I asked and instantly regretted by the way Ashton tensed up.

"Uh my parents kicked me out, sort of." He stammered and I knew he was lying. Ashton looked so uncomfortable and I felt sorry for making him feel that way. I rested my hand on top of his and our eyes met. His looked tired but they were still shining a beautiful hazel.

"You don't have to talk about any of that stuff Ashton, I know how hard it can be." I admitted and Ashton nodded at me. I didn't move my hand away and smiled at Ashton's beautiful smiling face.

The door from the garage opened and our hands shot apart like they were laced with poison. My cheeks were turning red I could tell and I felt oddly hot.

"Luke I'm ho- what are you doing here?" Jack said from behind me and Ashton instantly looked angry.

"Luke." Ashton said through gritted teeth. I felt like I was in the middle of a war. Neither of them were saying a word, just staring at each other like angry animals.

"What is going on here?" I asked and they both remind quiet. Ashton snapped his gaze away from my brother to gather his things and head for the door. I glared at Jack before following Ashton to the door.

"Ashton!" I called, catching the door before it slammed and followed him out on the porch.

"I'm sorry Luke I have to go to work." He said and hurried down the steps.

"Please wait." I begged and grabbed onto his upper arm, turning him around.

"Luke," he started but stopped.