28

Ashton's POV

"You've been quiet all night. What's wrong?" I asked Luke and he rolled his head to the side to look at me.

We've been lying here on his roof since the stars first showed themselves and Luke hasn't said a word. This worries me after the terrible week we've both had.

"I got a letter the other night." He started but looked down to the roof between us.

"And?" I was worrying big time now.

"They invited me to go to New York City for a week to this convention thing." He said, trying to downplay the offer.

"New York? Luke that's incredible! You are going right?" I sat up to look back down at him. This could be an amazing experience for Luke he'd be crazy not to go.

"New York is far away."

"So?"

"And I'd have to leave the day after Christmas and won't be back until the day after New Years." He said but refused to look at me.

"So?" I asked again with a small laugh. Surely he isn't going to give up this crazy opportunity for me. There's no way in hell I was going to let that happen.

"I don't want to leave you after everything that's happened." His voice was small and I moved closer to him.

"I will be fine Luke. You have to do this for you, this isn't about me." I said and Luke finally looked up with glossy blue eyes.

"But it's right after Christmas and we won't be together on New Years." He said but I was not having it.

"Luke Hemmings you are going to New York. I will drop you off at the airport and drag you onto that damn plane if I have to." I said sternly and Luke cracked a small smile.

"Okay, I'll go." He rolled his eyes and I let out a loud laugh.

"Yay!" I yelled out and wrapped Luke into a quick hug.

"What about the holidays? We won't get to enjoy them together." He said with his eyes searching my face for any sort of sign that I'm upset about all of this.

"We will just have to make Christmas the best damn Christmas you've ever had." I said and laid back down beside him. I rested my still bandaged arms behind my head and looked up to the stars.

New York was so far away and I'd miss Luke but he needed to go. I'd be with him the whole time anyway and of course we'd talk all the time. Everything would be fine.

"Do you wanna go somewhere?" I asked and sat up straight again.

"Where? It's like 10 o'clock on a Friday night." Luke laughed.

"Come on just trust me. Call Calum."I said and started to climb down to the ground with Luke right behind me.

We snuck into my backyard and headed into the house. Karen was at the dining room table working at her computer when she noticed us entering the house.

"What are you boys up to?" She smiled at us.

"We are going on a getaway." I said and Luke glanced nervously at me.

"Oh where to?" She asked and I could tell she was going into mum mode.

"The lake." I said quickly.

"The lake Ashton? That's an hour away and it's late already. And isn't Luke not supposed to see you after what happened? Plus it's December." She asked and shut her computer.

"Please Karen." I begged. She looked at me and then to Luke. She sighed and rubbed her hand over her face.

"You better be back by the afternoon. I will cover for the two of you until at least tomorrow afternoon but no later." She said and I rushed over to hug her. She laughed at my enthusiasm and shooed me away.