13

Luke's POV

I haven't spoken to Ashton all week, not even in class. He just puts in his headphones or completely ignores me. He's been skipping out on tutoring too. I feel like I should say something but then again maybe he just needs his space. Today he's not at school at all, or at least I haven't seen him. A part of me wonders what happened to make him act this way but the other half is telling me not to care.

When I walked into biology, Ashton was sitting at our table and my heart started to pick up speed. Why would he come to the last class of the day? I walked slowly to the back of the classroom and slumped down into my seat. When I looked over at Ashton, my chest went tight with concern. He looked so tired. His eyes were sunken and there were dark circles under them. His face was drained of any emotion like he hadn't slept in days. He was in a gray hoodie with the hood covering his messy brown curls.

I was about to speak but the bell cut me off and our teacher talked the majority of the time. I was getting antsy for answers so I ripped out a piece of notebook and scribbled a note on it. I slid it over to Ashton and he read it with his eyebrows pulled together and his lips in a pout. He didn't even look at me and he shoved the note into his pocket. Okay, so he didn't want to talk to me. What did I do to him?

The bell rang and Ashton shot out of his chair like it was a cannon. I did my best to keep up with him through the crowded hallway but to no avail. I sighed and went to Calum's locker where he was leaving his textbooks for the weekend.

"Hey Lukey, wanna hang out tonight?" Calum chirped.

"Sure Cal, my house or yours?" I asked feeling like I needed my mind off Ashton.

"Yours, you have the better TV." He chuckled and I forced myself to follow along.

"You'll be over after practice right?" I asked.

"Yeah, well I gotta go. I'll see you in a bit Lukey." Cal squeezed my shoulder and headed off.

"Bye Cal." I whispered to no one but myself.

I sighed and turned to walk down the hallway but I ran into something hard.

"Shit Luke I'm sorry." Michael said, grabbing my arm to keep me from falling over.

"It's okay Michael." I tried to smile. I stepped around him to continue along my path but his arm caught mine.

"Are you okay Luke?" He asked. His face looked concerned.

"Yeah." I said and Michael raised an eyebrow. "Okay, no I'm not." I admitted.

"Is it Ashton? Look Luke, he's not the easiest person to get to know but if you really care, you have to push your way into his life. Otherwise he will just push you away." Michael explained.

"What should I do?" I asked suddenly feeling nervous.

"Call him, text him or better yet come over and see him tonight." Michael said touching my shoulder again.

"But Calum and I- why don't you guys come over and watch movies with Calum and I tonight?" I offered and Michael smiled.

"Will there be food?" Michael smirked and I laughed.

"Of course there will be food." I said and Michael laughed too.

"Deal. Hey do you need a ride home? I'm sure the bus has already left." Michael pointed out that we were still in the hallway way past the time school got out.

"Uh yes. I mean if it's not too much trouble." I said and Michael rolled his eyes.

"Luke you live right next door, come on." Michael ushered me to follow him out of the school and to his car.